Main Menu

Red interior E bodies: looking for help on plastics color code

Started by Tx9h6e4cuda, December 20, 2021, 01:50:21 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Tx9h6e4cuda

Good afternoon everyone
I am finally redoing my interior on my 70 Cuda and it's going back to red. Everything is currently black inside. I bought new door panels (metro ones from Roseville) and they are in black.

The problem I'm having is the product to recolor the plastics to red. SEM, PPG, etc has no formula for the red colored interior for 1970. I have been working for two months on finding information and bringing red interior pieces to different color shops and they cannot figure out the correct dye. I have contacted different suppliers but they can't help due to the age. Someone must have done this before and located the correct color code for SEM for the interior plastics.

Does anyone have the color code for E body red interior plastics for SEM? I want to buy it all mixed and  sprayed through a gun so it could be uniform and the same color.

Any help is greatly appreciated as this has been a two month quest to find the color.

JS29

:welcome: There is a member here @cuda hunter Who loves red interiors, Maybe he can help you.  :handshake:

cuda hunter

Sorry, have not found the correct formula.

Perhaps, @Shoooter might have an idea.  He has an awesome red interior.   
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

anlauto

I know you mentioned you DON'T want spray bombs, but Herb's paint has figured out the secret sauce, maybe they will share their mix code or possibly sell you a quart ? It's worth a phone call  :dunno:

https://www.herbsparts.com/proddetail.php?prod=PAINT

FYI....Not "everything" should be the exact same shade of red....there's variances throughout the different types of plastics, metals soft trim etc... :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cuda hunter

I collect red parts.  Anything I can get my hands on.  They all have color variance's. 
Even the sets I have from the same car. 

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

fc7cuda

Have you considered returning the black ones and buying red?

EV2RTSE

Have you tried TCP Global?
https://www.autocolorlibrary.com/

My brother recently up finished his Challenger, he had them make up the 1970 'Bayou Green' suede paint for the metal pieces, and at the same time asked them to mix up a matching dye for the soft parts. I would think they could do the 1970 'Poppy Red' the same way.

Hindsight being 20/20 it would be better still to get 2 shades of dye, one for things like the door & kick panels, and another for the console, dash trims, etc.

1970 Cuda interior for reference

B5fourspeed

I would call auto instruments.They do complete dash restorations and car restorations.Any of the high end mopar restoration shops would probably guide you.Graveyard cars could possibly help.

Tx9h6e4cuda

Quote from: EV2RTSE on December 21, 2021, 07:44:10 AM

My brother recently up finished his Challenger, he had them make up the 1970 'Bayou Green' suede paint for the metal pieces, and at the same time asked them to mix up a matching dye for the soft parts. I would think they could do the 1970 'Poppy Red' the same way.

Hindsight being 20/20 it would be better still to get 2 shades of dye, one for things like the door & kick panels, and another for the console, dash trims, etc.

May I ask how your brothers car turned out? While it's kinda neat on how the original interior is different shades, my car is a driver. I called them and they are able to mix the poppy red in a dye. Thank you for the help!!!

Tx9h6e4cuda

Ok so here is a little more back story on what is happening. So my Cuda is supposed to have the red interior. Someone years ago swapped it over to black. So the door panels were junk from speakers cut into them. Everything else is pretty nice shape but in black.

So I went on the hunt for new door panels. Whoever I asked always mentioned that Roseville Moparts sells the most accurate and nicest door panel sets. I was told that the year one versions were not good and had quality issues.  I called Roseville Moparts and all they had was black or white. So I ordered black as it would be the similar base.

So I understand that with red interiors there was a mixture of shades. My car is just a daily driver and was hoping to get everything close to the seat color. If this was a mint restoration, your dang right I would be doing the different shades. For now and what I do with the car (drive it and beat on it) I think one color would be good.

My concerns with spray can if there is a variation between when cans were mixed. Also I heard it sprays thin and am concerned about the wear of the product. SEM seems to hold up pretty awesome. If anyone has an experience with Herbs stuff on cars used, please let me know.

Also Alanauto, good to see you still around. I followed your story big time when you were redoing the sublime 440-6 Cuda that was on barrels (barrelcuda). Still impressed by the work you did on that car.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

cuda hunter

The spray cans work great in consideration of spraying a thin coat.
Spray a thin coat of adhesion primer and then 2 to 3 coats of very thin red. 
Careful to not change the texture at all. The black panels will be darker than the white panels when painted.

Professional spray is always better.

cuda hunter

So, I'm just dying to know details about your car.  tx9e4  :wowzers: is what I have been looking searching for a long time.
Would love to see the fender tag.  Got a build sheet?  Pictures?
Maybe you could possibly start a restoration thread or info thread on your car. 

Tx9h6e4cuda

Quote from: cuda hunter on December 21, 2021, 07:19:27 PM
So, I'm just dying to know details about your car.  tx9e4  :wowzers: is what I have been looking searching for a long time.
Would love to see the fender tag.  Got a build sheet?  Pictures?
Maybe you could possibly start a restoration thread or info thread on your car.

Well this is my car. It's a 70 Cuda, 383, 4 speed, 3:91 axle car. I bought this car when I was 15 (39 now). She sat in my garage for 12 years and at the beginning of 2021, I decided to get her going again to make her a daily driver. After getting it on the road, I have decided to get the interior back to it's color. I have too much fun driving it and I don't think I will ever fully restore it.

cuda hunter

Wow!  And a D21 car at that!  With an axle package. 
Somebody knew how to order a car back in the day.
Did the car retain it's build sheet?

That is an awesome car!!! Definitely my favorite color combo.

I have an ew1 e4 d21 car. 

Love the pics!  More when you get a chance!  thanks again!

EV2RTSE

Quote from: Tx9h6e4cuda on December 21, 2021, 02:52:02 PM
Quote from: EV2RTSE on December 21, 2021, 07:44:10 AM

May I ask how your brothers car turned out? While it's kinda neat on how the original interior is different shades, my car is a driver. I called them and they are able to mix the poppy red in a dye. Thank you for the help!!!

Overall I think it came out great, maybe a little bit darker than the original green. This is the only good picture I have, it looks darker here than it actually is due to being in the garage but out in the sunlight it pops more. Maybe @Mr Lee has some better ones he can post.