Main Menu

Replacement Interior Plastic Color

Started by Dmod1974, January 26, 2021, 05:12:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Dmod1974

I've done a lot of searching with inconsistent results...  I'm painting my interior trim panels with SEM Landau black since most seem to think that is the closest color for the plastic parts.  It laid down pretty nice, but sure is glossier than I thought it would be comparing it to my reproduction dash trim, A-pillar's, and door panels.  The replacement parts are substantially flatter and more like a charcoal color (other than the radio bezel which I know needs to be painted since it's ridiculously shiny and textured).  The Landau black is glossier and richer/deeper black if that makes any sense.  I tried taking pics but they just don't show the differences well.  I can't really use my original parts for comparison since they are badly faded after stripping previous paint jobs from them.

My question is which is off?  Do the replacement parts need to be painted, or is the Landau paint wrong?  I did the center console, sun visors, and a few small parts and I'm hesitant to go any further until I figure out what's what!

B5fourspeed

Sems  trim black imo is the paint that has the right color for the trim.I also used it on my 70 cuda dash frame and it turn out great.

anlauto

Even when the cars were new, there was inconsistency in the shades of any colour, even black.   :alan2cents:

That being said...why do you think the reproduction parts are correct or why do you expect to paint a part that was never painted from the factory to be "correct" ? 
What I'm trying to say is that I think you're over thinking it...Once it's all assembled, I'm certain it will look fantastic :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Dmod1974

Quote from: anlauto on January 26, 2021, 06:46:07 PM
Even when the cars were new, there was inconsistency in the shades of any colour, even black.   :alan2cents:

That being said...why do you think the reproduction parts are correct or why do you expect to paint a part that was never painted from the factory to be "correct" ? 
What I'm trying to say is that I think you're over thinking it...Once it's all assembled, I'm certain it will look fantastic :twothumbsup:

Oh, I don't.  But I do need to get the new parts and restored old ones somewhat close or it's going to look weird, especially on panels next to each other that will have light shine on them.