Main Menu

Slapstik shifter ball question

Started by Finoke, August 24, 2018, 04:16:57 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Finoke

Hi Everbody,
The push button for my ball shifter works fine but comes out from the top. Should it be retained in some way?
Tom

fc7cuda

Good morning,

The black button is inside treadled and screws onto a threaded rod.  You'll need to loosen the Allen screw and turn the whole wood grain knob.  Not too tight, but to where it's height is correct so it functions correctly when depressed.   :waving:

Jay Bee

You might have to buy a new black knob. Sometimes the internal plastic threads might get worn. Mine once flew up with the top down. I was lucky the car was stopped at a light and it landed back on the passenger seat.

RUNCHARGER

Correct: The black knob and woodgrain knob rotate together while the black knob is threading onto the rod. Then when it is threaded down enough you retain the woodgrain knob with the set screw.
Sheldon

Finoke

Excellent! Thanks Guys, that makes perfect sense! I will see what the thread condition is in the push button this weekend.  :ohyeah:

Finoke

Quote from: Jay Bee on August 24, 2018, 05:58:49 AM
You might have to buy a new black knob. Sometimes the internal plastic threads might get worn. Mine once flew up with the top down. I was lucky the car was stopped at a light and it landed back on the passenger seat.

My threads are gone, so I ordered a new button today, thx Guys!  :banana:

1 Wild R/T

Bet it cost more than when I bought one at the dealership back in 78.... In stock, on the shelf... One dollar...

Finoke

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on August 26, 2018, 07:44:46 AM
Bet it cost more than when I bought one at the dealership back in 78.... In stock, on the shelf... One dollar...

Almost 20 bucks with shipping.  :bricks: