Main Menu

Correct Color grain decal on Center Console

Started by Topcat, June 16, 2017, 05:46:33 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Topcat

I bought a reproduction 4 speed shifter plate with the grain decal already on it.

It seems a rather pale wood grain color to what I recall how they should be.

Does anyone make the correct color center console decal/sticker?

Cuda Cody

How pale is it?  :takealook:  I don't think there's a perfect match, but there are some really decent decals out there.  I've thought of making my own, but the time and cost is not worth it for me.

Topcat

When I was at the De Anza show, I ran into @1 Wild R/T

I asked him about his console and he said it was original.
I recall my A/T cosole was that pantone as well.

The original decal/sticker is definitely a darker shade of woodgrain.

1 Wild R/T

I have a 71 Console with a 70 plate.... They were both NOS in the original boxes when I bought my Challenger.... My Challenger was pretty beat when I found it but it came with allot of NOS parts..... None of them are NOS anymore cause I don't collect NOS I bolt it on my car... :rofl:

Shoooter

The one I got from Dave is a little lighter in colour than my original one. Not sure if I replace it or not.

YYZ

Contact Jim at DMT www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com -- his are the best on the market.

He offers both the early (Kashmir) and later (American Walnut) woodgrain in the original 3M Dinoc material

Sleepychallenger

Quote from: YYZ on June 22, 2017, 03:48:11 AM
Contact Jim at DMT www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com -- his are the best on the market.

He offers both the early (Kashmir) and later (American Walnut) woodgrain in the original 3M Dinoc material

Good info to know. I didn't realize there were two different "wood" types used

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

manycj

Here's the decal I just put on for my 70 automatic from DMT.  Perfect match to my original.  I also bought the ones for the doors from Roseville. Turns out that they sell the DMT ones as well.
Chris
<I>If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so no onw can!"</I>

HP_Cuda

In my last Cuda, the DMT woodgrain was the closest I have found to stock.

Another problem is when you change out the woodgrain sticker for the shifter plate you then have to address the 4 speed shifter.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Shoooter

How do you guys put on your stickers? I haven't don't a console plate before. With other stickers I have used soapy water and been able to get it where i want then use a squeegie to push out the water underneath the sticker

manycj

Couldn't be simpler.  All you need is a bottle of Windex and a cloth or paper towel if you don't have a squeegee. You wet the console piece with Windex. the more the better.  You do the same as on the decal. You then put the decal in place and float it where you want it. The decals have a grid on the back that lets the Windex flow out was you squeegee it.  You want to soak up the Windex with a paper towel after you squeegee it out.

It's more laborious removing the old decal and cleaning the surface. I used a propane torch to heat up the old glue and a razor blade to scrape it back. I also used 3M adhesive remover to turn the glue into a jell that could be scrapped off.

Chris

<I>If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so no onw can!"</I>

usraptor

He offers both the early (Kashmir) and later (American Walnut) wood-grain in the original 3M Dinoc material

Depends on what year yours is and what year the donor was.  My '70 'Cuda used the Kasmir from DMT and it was a perfect match to the original. 

Like manycj stated, just follow the instructions that come with the decal and it couldn't be easier using the Windex.

FYI, if your console is faded, scratched or old looking, before you install the decal plate, clean it good and then spray it with SEM Landau Black.  It will look new again.

Aar1064

Just received mine and really looks good. I got the darker one Kashmir.