Main Menu

Stock steering wheel install without crush can?

Started by timdp, September 13, 2019, 10:12:37 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Bullitt-

contemplating OP's issue and other comments I wonder if a smaller diameter thicker wheel might improve his experience.. I recall a few folks along the way installing a Grant wheel.... maybe the "Challenger" model 13.5"??  Whatever they were using it only took some minor modification to mount the wheel to the crush can & '72-up horn button was used

and then there's their "Tuff Wheel" 15" diameter which appears to be made to fit

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Plymouth-TUFF-Steering-Wheel-Grant-NEW-MoPar-Factory-Second-/233302274043

Another approach that may help is to add a spacer under the front seat mounts to tilt the seat back....  I am average height and on my '98 GT I found that for leg comfort I had the seat all the way back but the steering wheel always felt like a reach. After adding 1/2" spacers under the front seat mounts I am able to move the seat a little closer & the wheel feels much better. 
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

timdp

Had a wheel somewhat like the first one shown in your post and changed it for two reasons: wanted a larger diameter wheel because of manual steering and 265mm wide tires on the front and I wanted a wheel that looked more like the wheel in Mad Max's interceptor (round holes in the spokes).

Spacers under the seat is an interesting idea, Will think on it.

Quote from: Bullitt- on October 11, 2019, 03:07:45 AM
contemplating OP's issue and other comments I wonder if a smaller diameter thicker wheel might improve his experience.. I recall a few folks along the way installing a Grant wheel.... maybe the "Challenger" model 13.5"??  Whatever they were using it only took some minor modification to mount the wheel to the crush can & '72-up horn button was used

Another approach that may help is to add a spacer under the front seat mounts to tilt the seat back....  I am average height and on my '98 GT I found that for leg comfort I had the seat all the way back but the steering wheel always felt like a reach. After adding 1/2" spacers under the front seat mounts I am able to move the seat a little closer & the wheel feels much better.