Main Menu

Trunk floor mat

Started by GCragtop, August 16, 2017, 03:57:54 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Topcat

In the meantime, wait for feedback.   :popcorn: :pixiepop:

benlavigne

Quote from: Topcat on November 15, 2018, 01:51:01 PM
Just got an email from ECS saying they are coming out with correct Trunk Mats.

Will be debuted at MCACN.   :veryexcited:

It looks very good!

Ben

anlauto

Did you see Dave Waldon there ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

benlavigne

Quote from: anlauto on November 18, 2018, 06:07:09 AM

Sorry, I would not know what he looks like...  :notsure:

I dealt with a thin gentleman with a mustache for some small items I bought and picked up there...
Do you want me to ask and say hello?

Ben

anlauto

Quote from: benlavigne on November 18, 2018, 06:51:30 AM
Quote from: anlauto on November 18, 2018, 06:07:09 AM

Sorry, I would not know what he looks like...  :notsure:

I dealt with a thin gentleman with a mustache for some small items I bought and picked up there...
Do you want me to ask and say hello?

Ben

No need to bother....thanks.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

76orangewagon

I'll be calling this week to pre-order one since I couldn't make it to the show this year.

usraptor

Quote from: anlauto on November 15, 2018, 03:46:06 PM
Quote from: Topcat on November 15, 2018, 01:51:01 PM
Just got an email from ECS saying they are coming out with correct Trunk Mats.

Will be debuted at MCACN.   :veryexcited:

Yup...got my email too....I hope they're reasonably priced :fingerscrossed:
I called them after I got the email and they said they haven't settled on a final price but are thinking that the will be about $139.  That seems high to me for a trunk mat when everybody else sells them for less than half that amount.  I understand there's is probably the most OEM/Factory correct, but that still seems high for a trunk mat.  Opinions??  :notsure:

anlauto

For the quality I think $140 is probably about right, but limits the sale potential.

ECS brought out super accurate detailed exhaust systems, and flat packaged carpets, etc.. however these items are priced so high that their market was geared more towards the highest of the high OE type restorations, which is fine, I'm sure they've sold a few hundred sets.

I think they will do the same with the trunk mats. At $140, (which is better then what someone else had said Friday)....they will sell hundreds of them to customers who have been begging the market for a better product, BUT if they were priced in the $80 range, they would likely sell thousands of them to every E Body owner looking for a trunk mat, destroying the competition.  :alan2cents:

100 @ $140 = $14,000.00 or 1000 @ $80 = $80,000.00  :dunno:

JH27N0B

The thin guy with the mustache at the ECS booth was Tom.  Cool guy, he had some interesting stories of back in the day when his dad was a Chrysler sales manager.
The preorder price at the show was $149.
When I was talking to Mike Ross yesterday by his AAR, a guy came by who I think was Dave Walden came by, and iirc said the mats will be $169 when they hit the market.
I've only seen Dave once, last year at a distance so I'm not positive it was him.
Mike said he ordered 5 mats. :)

69BFan

I wonder if they will be offering them without the stenciling on the backside?  By printing the logo within the stenciling, that is adding a couple dollars to the price of the mats plus they now have to pay license agreements to FCA.  Did the same part numbers carry over each year and were they not a date code within the stenciling?  If so, will they be a range of different date codes available. 

Personally, I feel that the $170 price is not out of line.  Sure they could sell more of them at say half of that price, but from being in the parts reproduction side for a number of years, it is tough to sell a product that so many people have already made the buy in.  Thankfully it is an item that can be quickly swapped out with minimum effort.  The owners of the high end cars will make the purchase, but most owners unless they are doing a new restoration will continue on with what they have. 

I do not see a drop of pricing for original mats and I do not see the pricing changing for the REM or ACC mats, so hopefully it will work out for them.  That had to be an expensive project to undertake.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com  Mopar weatherstripping is our specialty, but we offer a wide assortment of restoration products.

RUNCHARGER

I think that's why he priced them higher. He realizes a lot of people already have the cheapies or will buy only based on price in the future. The serious guys will pay the extra and appreciate the product.
I found a guy some disc brake pads for his 66 Chrysler the other day after he begged me to find him some. Then he decided he didn't need them when they were about double the price of pads for say a 2000 Honda. That's just the way people are.
Sheldon

6Pack70

I've been a Mopar guy for 34 years and I have no problem dropping $170 on a super accurate reproduction part that everyone sees at shows and makes me smile every time I open the trunk because now it will look right.    I've dropped far more than $170 for parts on my Cuda that people will likely never see.  Lol

fc7cuda

Quote from: 6Pack70 on November 18, 2018, 08:29:18 PM
I've been a Mopar guy for 34 years and I have no problem dropping $170 on a super accurate reproduction part that everyone sees at shows and makes me smile every time I open the trunk because now it will look right.    I've dropped far more than $170 for parts on my Cuda that people will likely never see.  Lol

:iagree:

JH27N0B

To '69Bfan's question on date coding of ECSs mats, Tom told me the plan is that there will be one date code.  The date code will likely be something "early" so that it can be technically correct for most any car.
I know some restorer's say that date codes need to be somewhere 1-2 months before a car's build to be correct, but having worked in manufacturing most of my career I always roll my eyes when I hear people trying to claim definitive rules for how part inventory management works in plants.  It's far from perfect today and it was far worse 50 years ago.  These "experts" don't have a clue!
So even if when I get my ECS mat I find it's got a late summer of '69 date on it, I won't lose sleep about installing it in my April built T/A.  That being said, I have chunks of my original mat and would have liked to have the option of getting the code on it matched.
On the price issue, to put in perspective, attendees at MCACN this weekend were probably paying around the $169 price of the mat per night for their hotel room with the areas rip off taxes.
If you are restoring a Mopar for show, and $169 seems excessive, you probably need to find a less expensive hobby!  If your goal is a local cruise night type ride, buy a cheap mat because your trunk will be full of chairs and coolers etc anyway when you take your car out to enjoy, no need to waste money on an expensive trunk mat when the money could be better spent buying dinner at a restaurant by the cruise!

HEMICUDA

Quote from: JH27N0B on November 19, 2018, 06:34:12 AM
To '69Bfan's question on date coding of ECSs mats, Tom told me the plan is that there will be one date code.  The date code will likely be something "early" so that it can be technically correct for most any car.
I know some restorer's say that date codes need to be somewhere 1-2 months before a car's build to be correct, but having worked in manufacturing most of my career I always roll my eyes when I hear people trying to claim definitive rules for how part inventory management works in plants.  It's far from perfect today and it was far worse 50 years ago.  These "experts" don't have a clue!
So even if when I get my ECS mat I find it's got a late summer of '69 date on it, I won't lose sleep about installing it in my April built T/A.  That being said, I have chunks of my original mat and would have liked to have the option of getting the code on it matched.
On the price issue, to put in perspective, attendees at MCACN this weekend were probably paying around the $169 price of the mat per night for their hotel room with the areas rip off taxes.
If you are restoring a Mopar for show, and $169 seems excessive, you probably need to find a less expensive hobby!  If your goal is a local cruise night type ride, buy a cheap mat because your trunk will be full of chairs and coolers etc anyway when you take your car out to enjoy, no need to waste money on an expensive trunk mat when the money could be better spent buying dinner at a restaurant by the cruise!

That a boy, I concur 100%.  I spent time with Dave and Tom at the show before it opened, compared the mat to my NOS.  If you took a piece of an NOS mat and laid it on the mat ECS made, you would loose the piece of NOS mat, it's that perfect.  The only way anyone on the planet would know it was a new mat would be because it's not hard like an old original.  If you want to know what your original mat was like when new, there you go.

For those that want to make assumptions and complain about cost, you have no clue what it takes to develop and reproduce parts like this.  Sourcing the correct material is only one part of the equation, you have to also print it and laser cut the shape perfectly.  Thankfully ECS is controlling 100% of that process since it's being performed locally in St. Louis.   Good thing no one is twisting your tiny wing to buy one, you can always buy the "other" mat.

I'm sure, if you wanted a different date, Tom would accommodate you and ship one without it and you can have your own stamps made and have any date you want.  I worked Tom all weekend to get his only sample Challenger mat so I could replace the aw full REM rubber POS in my T/A.

I ordered x5 mats at the show for all my ebodies so I can replace the completely wrong and crappy fitting mats already in the cars.  Way to go ECS, another perfect part.