Main Menu

Upper and lower collapsible steering shaft alignment

Started by Dmod1974, July 10, 2021, 09:21:48 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Dmod1974

I just got a bunch of parts powder coated, and the plastic filler holding the steering shafts together melted and separated (my bad entirely since I didn't even think about that being an issue.)  I'm going to fill the grooves with an epoxy and I have the OE measurements to for correct overall length, but the shafts can be installed 2 different ways.  One will put the master spline for the crush can in the wrong position.....

Does anybody know where the master spline on the upper shaft should be in relation to the "gauge pin" hole above the coupler pin hole on the lower shaft?  Should the master spline and gauge pin hole be in alignment, or not?  I don't remember how the coupler holes sat when the master spline is at 12:00.

anlauto

Everything points up. So with the master spline on top the locater hole will be at the top....It won't really matter until you put the coupler on, because the coupler can go either way on the shaft. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Dmod1974

FE5CUDA

To be totally correct, master spline is up, the hole in the lower shaft near the coupler is up and the roll pin on the coupler is up.