Main Menu

Were 3 Point Seat Belts available?

Started by gilbiy1977, May 18, 2023, 08:12:45 AM

Previous topic Next topic

gilbiy1977

I am wanting to upgrade the 2 point lap belts to 3 point seat belts in my 1970 Cuda.  Did Plymouth install the 3 point mounting nut in the roof of any/all 1970 Cudas?  I can not feel a bolt hole through my headliner and my headliner is really nice, so I am reluctant to take it down to look.  I have seen that some 1970 Challengers came with the optional 3 point set belt but can't seem to figure out if the Cuda did.  Any help or pictures would be appreciated.

70vert

I've never seen a 70 Challenger with the shoulder restraint, but maybe those that sold in California required it. Not sure if the same is true for 70 Cuda.

And obviously convertibles did not have it since no where to attach (:

gilbiy1977

Perhaps I am mistaken from ready other post on the form as far as the 1970 Challenger having a 3 point option.  My car is an LA build so I had the same thought that maybe the holes are there and I just can't feel them.

anlauto

ALL 1970-1973 E Bodies had an optional shoulder belt. 1974 had a mandatory shoulder belt.

ALL 1970-1974 E Bodies will have the threaded hole in the roof rail. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

gilbiy1977

Quote from: anlauto on May 18, 2023, 09:46:35 AM
ALL 1970-1973 E Bodies had an optional shoulder belt. 1974 had a mandatory shoulder belt.

ALL 1970-1974 E Bodies will have the threaded hole in the roof rail. :alan2cents:

anlauto you are always helpful.  Any chance you have a picture of the hole location in a Cuda?

Cuda_mark

ALL? Even convertibles??? :pokeeye:

JH27N0B

The 70 Challenger salesman guide shows shoulder belts (C13) standard, except in convertibles.
I seem to recall seeing a picture in the past of a convertible fender tag coded for shoulder belts, I can't imagine what that would even look like except maybe being a shoulder belt coming through a slot in the rear side panel.  Likely the rarest E body option if it was in fact available.
I would think Barracuda shoulder belts also being standard in hardtops like challengers, something that would be the same for all E bodies?
I also would think shoulder belts government regulations required by this time for hardtops?

Mr Cuda

True 3 point belts were standard in 74.
70-2 had lap and shoulder belts on separate buckles.
73? Can't say for sure,  but B had a shoulder belt that clipped on.
The 74 belts allowed you to move a bit before the belt ratcheted  down on you. 
I think I have a set around here.  I tossed the qtr panel mount plates when I moved.

anlauto

Quote from: Cuda_mark on May 18, 2023, 09:59:31 AM

ALL? Even convertibles??? :pokeeye:

One in every crowd
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JH27N0B

Quote from: gilbiy1977 on May 18, 2023, 09:54:40 AM

anlauto you are always helpful.  Any chance you have a picture of the hole location in a Cuda?
This picture from an old thread here about headliners shows the mount

tparker

Yup, my 70 Challenger (California) has a shoulder and lap belt. Two distinct belts. The shoulder belt tucks away on the roof like the above photo.

MoparLeo

Here is a photo of the various holes in the inner roof.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

gilbiy1977

Thanks for the photos! This should help a lot.

moreparts

Quote from: JH27N0B on May 18, 2023, 10:00:03 AM
The 70 Challenger salesman guide shows shoulder belts (C13) standard, except in convertibles.
I seem to recall seeing a picture in the past of a convertible fender tag coded for shoulder belts, I can't imagine what that would even look like except maybe being a shoulder belt coming through a slot in the rear side panel.  Likely the rarest E body option if it was in fact available.
I would think Barracuda shoulder belts also being standard in hardtops like challengers, something that would be the same for all E bodies?
I also would think shoulder belts government regulations required by this time for hardtops?

I'm recalling from an old diagram I once saw that the shoulder belt was attached by a bolt close to one for the rear seat belts.  Years ago when I was driving my convertible a lot more I used that hole with an appropriate length belts to replicate it for my own safety.

70vert

@JH27N0B
Interesting. I have owned several 70 challengers, prior to my current convertible and none had shoulder belts (only lap belts). I also don't recall seeing any at various car shows. If they came standard in 70 there must have been a lot of them ordered with a "delete code".