Main Menu

HEMI Oiling Issues

Started by Spartan040, June 10, 2020, 08:44:03 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Spartan040

I realize this forum is more dedicated to classic Mopar engines but I hope the gear heads here can help me.

I'm aware that MDS Hemi engines have a known issue with lifters, and subsequently cams, going bad, but I thought this had to do with just poor lifter design or quality. But this video posits that cams and lifters going bad in these gen 3 Hemis is a result of just poor design that applies to both MDS and non-MDS engines: https://youtu.be/dI93-Zdx_nY

Is there truth to what this guy says? Is this a known issue with all Hemi blocks, or is it only the 5.7? I have a 392 in a 2016 Challenger and I'm worried about its longevity if the block itself has design flaws that lead to oil starvation.

Chryco Psycho

The problem exists , basically all 3rd gen Hemis are the same so the same oiling problems can occur , there are lifters available that have a pin hole to  oil the roller in the bottom though , the other part of this is to run the Hemis harder , keep the revs up , don't idle for long periods . this is why cam break ins are done at 2200 + rpm to provide a lot of oil to the cam .
I was wondering if it was possible to install a 1/2 tube inside the block under the cam in these blocks so the cam is submerged in oil all of the time ?
FYI all roller cams can suffer from oil starvation which is a known issue for decades , the factories seem to have been able to make hyd rollers live in street applications but I have vary rarely used or recommended solid rollers for street use .

RUNCHARGER

Known issue alright. I don't idle mine much and may throw in a new set at 100,000 miles. Cheaper to change them before they need it I figure.
Sheldon

Spartan040

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on June 10, 2020, 10:39:18 AM
The problem exists , basically all 3rd gen Hemis are the same so the same oiling problems can occur , there are lifters available that have a pin hole to  oil the roller in the bottom though , the other part of this is to run the Hemis harder , keep the revs up , don't idle for long periods . this is why cam break ins are done at 2200 + rpm to provide a lot of oil to the cam .
I was wondering if it was possible to install a 1/2 tube inside the block under the cam in these blocks so the cam is submerged in oil all of the time ?
FYI all roller cams can suffer from oil starvation which is a known issue for decades , the factories seem to have been able to make hyd rollers live in street applications but I have vary rarely used or recommended solid rollers for street use .

Can you tell me which lifters those are? Johnson or some other company? I'm seriously considering a cam swap once my extended warranty is out and I'd be deleting the MDS hardware, lifters included. Got another 65,000 miles or 4 years to go, whichever comes first.

Lol, I certainly give my Hemi plenty of exercise!

That'd be a million-dollar-idea that you could probably sell to Chrysler if you can make it work.

Chryco Psycho

Search for EDM lifters .
I would need a block to see if it can be done , I doubt it would be too hard , need to make 4 sections of tube between each cam brg to hold oil . problem is finding a gen 3 hemi block here to even play with , there are Hemis here in Panama but finding / getting one , there are not common for sure .

Spartan040

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on June 10, 2020, 10:27:20 PM
Search for EDM lifters .
I would need a block to see if it can be done , I doubt it would be too hard , need to make 4 sections of tube between each cam brg to hold oil . problem is finding a gen 3 hemi block here to even play with , there are Hemis here in Panama but finding / getting one , there are not common for sure .

I searched but Google didn't reveal any to me that are made for gen 3 Hemis. Is EDM a company or a type of lifter?

EDM laser electrical discharge machining, places an oil hole in the lifter.

Read an article about Johnson lifters saying poor lifter marching can affect also.

https://hotrodenginetech.com/gen-iii-hemi-lifter-tick-solved/

Chryco Psycho

:iagree:
EDM lifters have a pinhole in th bottom of the lifter pointing down to either lube the cam lobe or the roller at the bottom of the lifter , I am told they exist for street roller cams but I have not looked for them & do not have a part # for roller lifters like this , sorry .

RUNCHARGER

EDM should be a simple fix but you wonder why FIAT hasn't incorporated that into a known problem?
Sheldon

7212Mopar

Gen III HEMI has what people called "HEMI tick" that you hear once awhile. Many said it is resulted from oiling problem of the lifters. Also once awhile, you get a cloud of blue smoke when you start the car. More often when the car was parked on an uphill slope. The smoke goes away quickly. This happens even I have an oil catch can for the PCV before going back to the intake. I recently added the oil additive from Turbo Maxx to the engine after reading some reviews.  I know many do not believe in the snake oil stuff so make your own call. What I can say is that I have not hear any ticks since for about 500 miles. The engine seems to run smoother, quieter and cooler. However we are not quite in the hot summer days yet.  I also did not have the blue smoke since. Fingers crossed. I did the same for my 73 which has a new rebuild engine may be 2000 miles. I got the same results. It wasn't cheap but I think it is still worth it.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Chryco Psycho

Well from personal experience , I did an oil change one night after work & the drain plug stripped going back into the oil pan , so I wrapped the plug in teflon tape & thought it would hold until I got into town the next day . I lived 70 miles from the city & it was late at night so I had no other choice , about 1/2 way back into town the next morning I thought I saw smoke behind the car but it was dark so I was unsure . I had put a low friction additive in the engine months before & I drove 40 miles into the city & parked the car & went to work , after work I noticed a 3" puddle of oil under the car which was unusual , so I checked the drain plug , it was gone , there was no oil in the engine at all , I had driven 40 miles without oil , the engine was fine ,put in a new drain plug refilled the oil & drove the car for a couple more years !
Some of these additives work wonders !!