Main Menu

Hemi intake manifold installation issues - help :( *UPDATED*

Started by Mopsquad, March 26, 2018, 10:20:06 AM

Previous topic Next topic

HP_Cuda

Definite mistake, I wonder if they were thinking it was a cast iron manifold when they knew it was aluminum?

When has anyone gone beyond 15ft pounds on an aluminum manifold?
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Mopsquad

Called Edelbrock and they are looking into it.  I'll supply pics and a copy of the instructions to show them.  I think the instructions were revised but unfortunately those never made it into my box.

RUNCHARGER

I've never used a torque wrench on a B-RB intake but I bet they take 35lbs. To Chevy guys (like at Edelbrock) "they're all the same".
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

It would not matter if it was Alum or Iron a 1/4" bolt will never hold 35 ft lbs , you need 3/8" to take that torque .
:iagree: a typical intake held down with 3/8 bolts would often be tightened to 30ft lbs +
Edelbrock is a Chev based company , they reluctantly build parts for other makes but not with the variety or engineering , it took a lot of work to get the RB Victor heads fitted to a 440 , far from being a bolt on part .

RzeroB

Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

CudaMoparRay

Sorry to hear of all your problems even with a company like Edelbrock there still can be serious issues.
This has become an important thread to follow. Wishing you the best outcome.

Chryco Psycho

Mopsquad

Talking to Edelbrock right now.  I'm not looking for much, just new bolts and gaskets. But I did say that if the intake bolt holes/heads are stripped, that they will have to remove/repair/reinstall.  They are taking responsibility so far.  Will keep you posted on the outcomes.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Mopsquad

After chasing all the threads, removing the gasket, re-cleaning, I installed the intake again with new gaskets.  The new bolts seemed to grab and I tightened to a firm 3/8 rachet resistance.  My torque wrench starts at 20 ftlbs so I couldn't get the required 8 lbs.  Re-torqued by hand a few times and the Superformance gaskets settled quite quickly.

So far so good...  :veryexcited:

RUNCHARGER

Super, recheck after a few days and again a week after you start it and warm it up.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Topcat

I had problems on mine the first time.

The second time, I used Copper spray gasket on the Fel Pro intake gaskets.
And just a little bit of high temp Silicone on certain spots.

Been fine since, But re torque may be necessary.