Main Menu

1970 challenger sunroof repair, parts

Started by mike@msclassics, October 13, 2020, 09:07:37 AM

Previous topic Next topic

mike@msclassics

Hi everyone, My name is Mike from MS Classic Cars we recently purchased a 1970 challenger R/T sunroof car we are in the process of getting it ready to sell and the sunroof is not working does anyone know where to get service info. or parts for the sunroof or good luck as it seems I looked everywhere. Thanks for allowing me to join

anlauto

I've restored four sunroof Challenger in the past few years. What do you need ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

@mike@msclassics  Mike you can email me at anlauto@hotmail.com  I have a 12 page Technical Service Manual saved on my computer that I can send you to print off. It has great info on all the parts, wiring, adjustments etc...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

anlauto

mike@msclassics

Thanks so much for the service info. Not sure what I need yet the roof tries to open if I help it I can get it to open and close. I removed the motor and gear box so I could see how roof feels to move in the tracks its quite hard to move by hand so I assume thats why the gear box is slipping I will go through service procedure and let you know how it goes Thanks

mike@msclassics

Hi anlauto, I found the slotted head screw on the gear box missing the one that the shims or drive washers holds where can i buy the shims I found some drive shims at west coast classic cougars looks like ford used a similar set up or the same

YYZ

FWIW there were only 2 main providers of sunroofs back in the day.  Golde (generally European cars) and ASC, who supplied the Big 3.  The founder of ASC was a student of Golde, so there is a lot of similarity in how the two brands of sunroof work, and what parts they use.

Challengers and Cougars both used an ASC 'Medium' sized sunroof, so you could certainly source parts from a Ford/Mercury supplier if they have them available.

Motors were by Bosch, and usually of a style known as the 'sardine can'.  Also found in old Mercedes etc. from the era.  One could probably substitute a later Bosch motor as well, perhaps with modifying the mounts.

The weak link in both the power and manual sunroofs is the drive gear.  IIRC someone here had a bunch of replacements machined in aluminum, and/or had a CAD file so that they could be 3D printed.

The power sunroof switch is a Bosch PW switch as used in some older Mercedes.  I used to have some NOS ones, but there are still lots out there.

mike@msclassics

thanks everyone for the help the roof is working I followed the service procedure adjusted,cleaned,lubed used some washers and a screw I had laying around  I ordered some drive washers for a 1970 cougar not sure the same when the come in I'll replace the washers I installed as they are just steal washers  :fingerscrossed:

anlauto

Sorry, just coming back to this thread now....
I'm glad you got it all sorted out :twothumbsup: ....surprised the guys that restored the car originally couldn't get it working properly  :huh:

CudaMoparRay

cudamadd

That is a very impressive photo anlauto thanks  for posting it  :australia:

mike@msclassics

here's the car not sure if the roof worked after restoration car been sitting for a few years

anlauto

Quote from: cudamadd on October 14, 2020, 12:55:57 AM
That is a very impressive photo anlauto thanks  for posting it  :australia:

Thanks, the owner of that collection is a member here, maybe he'll chime in ?

anlauto

Quote from: mike@msclassics on October 14, 2020, 05:27:49 AM
here's the car not sure if the roof worked after restoration car been sitting for a few years

Yea it's a great looking car, I never understood the Firestone tires, but who knows why, maybe the original customer wanted them ?

Good luck with your sale  :twothumbsup: