Main Menu

Hello from Denver - 1971 Challenger Convertible

Started by ZippyZoo, January 23, 2021, 08:09:06 AM

Previous topic Next topic

ZippyZoo

I joined E-Bodies.org a while back, but never introduced myself or my project here.  I have really appreciated the warmth, sharing, resources, and wealth of knowledge of the caring forum members.
We bought my 1971 Challenger convertible new in November 1970.  Grocery-getter 318, 904, 7-1/4, drum brakes.  PlumCrazy with a white power top.  As a "mid-west" car, the fenders had rust holes by 1972.  Drove it all through high school and college - lots of memories.  Took a million pictures of the car over the years which all were thrown away when my parents moved out of their forever home.   :headbang: 
Almost traded the car in 1976, but the dealer only offered $700 so I kept it.  No longer a daily driver, it found various storage "homes" including behind my parent's house in a field - bad idea.  By 1989, the car was very tired, rusty and the paint was shot.  A "friend of a friend" patched it up and repainted it.  In the early '90s, I replaced the 318/904/7-1/4 with a 440/727/8-3/4 SG. I bought a scrap '72 parts car for some specific pieces.  If I had known then what I know now, I would have kept a lot more parts from that car - oh, well!
Fast forward to today.  We retired and moved from Michigan to Colorado which meant getting rid of a lot of the parts I had accumulated.  Took the car off the road in 2015 as another friend of a friend was going to "restore" it.  That didn't work out but the car was already in pieces.  I tried restoration, but realized I didn't have the skills or equipment to do a quality job, so I sent it to a shop that I am pleased with.  They are doing the body (lots of hidden rust) and paint , while I am working on everything else.  I hope to see the completed, painted body back this year and then probably another year to put it all back together!  Being an August 1970 build, we've found a few 1970 specific parts on the car.
I'll start a restoration thread  to highlight the progress and solicit answers and assistance.
Again, great site.  Thanks to all.

RUNCHARGER

Welcome and great car! I love stories about original owners smart enough to keep their new cars to this day.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

As Sheldon said, Welcome!! Cool Challenger with a great story... Hope your loving the Denver area, I've worked there from time to time & always enjoy it.. Well not so much Denver but areas just west of there... Whatever questions you have someone here should have your answer...

Chryco Psycho

Welcome to the site from Panama !
Cool to have a 1 owner car !

Brads70

JS29

:welcome: Agreed, great story and great that you kept it all this time!  :handshake:

7E-Bodies

Warm welcome from Peoria IL. I've owned two 71 challenger convertible 318 cars. One, a 3 sod manual FJ6, and one a 904/column in dark blue metallic. Both with white tops and interiors. Plus a 70 RT convertible in yellow. Glad you're here.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

anlauto

Welcome to the best E Body website in the world  :grouphug:

We love answering questions  :brainiac:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

71383bee

Welcome!  Cool to see another convert on here.  The story is great and I'm glad you are back to enjoying it again and it didn't get lost to the crusher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

71vert340

A warm welcome. Enjoy the restoration. You will really get to know the car well.
Terry W.

Dakota

:handshake:  Welcome to the forum from Buffalo, NY.   Great story. Love the long ownership history.  Good luck with your project!

cudamadd

A big welcome to this great forum. Nice car half the fun is putting her back together.enjoy the process cheers :australia:

dodgemania

Spikedog08

Glad you finally shared that beautiful car with us . . I'm still in Michigan . . I bet Colorado is nice.    :bigthumb:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

jimynick

Welcome to the site from Ontario,  :canada: and I imagine that you get a warm feeling when you look at the old gal and realize that keeping it was one of your better decision!  :wave:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"