Main Menu

Membre from belgium - challenger rt

Started by Eblood, October 22, 2018, 07:22:57 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Eblood

Hi guys,

I m New in mopar World but not in us classics. I planned to visit a challenger rt 1970 440 (code u). But the seller just told me the engine IS not marching. Its a period correct 440. Car is well optionned but this Bad news affect what the car worth. By checking équivalent car, i noticed these cars have often thé engine replaced, could you tell me why ? The car is in Real good shape and have 4 speed Manual trans, what could be the Price range ?

RUNCHARGER

Welcome from B.C. Canada.
Back when these cars were say 5-20 years old when the engine wore out it was common to install a rebuilt one or a decent used one from a different car. No one cared if it had the matching serial # or not. Also being a 4 speed, lots of drivers weren't that adept at shifting at high rpm and overrevved the engine causing damage.
Sheldon

JS29

:welcome: From central New York!!! Good luck finding the best deal.  :ohyeah:

dodgemania

Eblood

https://www.autoscout24.fr/offres/-67fb9278-98bf-9e33-e053-e350040a45f5
Heres a link to the ad.. click on description , there's an english translation.
What do you think about the car ?
Reallly ? Nobody Cares ? In Chevy World ( sorry guys ;) it matters a lot , why IS There a différence about 'mindset'

zazou

Plymouth Cuda 1973 - Normandie-France

Husk Challenger

Hey Eblood, welcome!!

The owner is a friend of mine, and i have just listed the car on the forum.
https://forum.e-bodies.org/new-members-introductions-roseville-moparts/3/membre-from-belgium-wtb-challenger-rt/8850/msg122270#new

I don't know how much you care about a matching number engine, but this is car is really great!!
You won't find easily this kind of car in Europe in a such shape!

good luck
Challenger 73' 383ci 4spd ---> SOLD
Challenger 71' 318 904 RT clone ---> Stroker 318/392 Tf 727!

Cuda Cody

Welcome @Eblood   :welcome:

I think what RUNCHARGER meant was that nobody cared in the past when these cars were just transportation, but now it does matter and it will hurt the value a little if it is not numbers matching.  The photos are a bit small and hard to see plus there's not a lot of good photos.  You might want to see if you can find someone that knows these cars well to look it over.  :bradsthumb:

benlavigne

Bonjour, bienvenue, de Montréal, Québec!
Au départ, si tout est en règle (nos. de série sur le support de radiateur et sur le ''cowl'' qui sont conformes à celui du VIN du tableau de bord), il s'agit d'une voiture rare (Code ''U'', avec la transmission manuelle), un ami en cherchait une depuis plus de 30 ans et a finalement acheté une épave à refaire... La couleur aussi est un plus. Selon la plaque d'aile, tout est conforme, mais cette plaque peut être reproduite, si il y a une feuille de production avec la voiture, ça aiderait à confirmer l'authenticité. Pour ce qui est du moteur d'origine ou non (la transmission aussi devrait avoir le no. de série), à mon avis, ça ne fait qu'aider à la vente, un moteur ''date correct'' dont la date de production est proche de l'original compense presque la différence (15%?). Comme cette combinaison est assez rare, la valeur est quand même bonne et plusieurs acheteurs feraient abstraction de cette déviation, spécialement en Europe, ou l'offre dépasse la demande...
Certains diraient même qu'ils sont plus à l'aise avec une mécanique remplacée (si elle est correcte pour la voiture), qu'avec une mécanique ''match'' dont l'identification pourrait avoir été trafiquée...
Bonne chance!

Benoit

Eblood

Thanks folk ! Before visiting the car, Can you tell me how to be sure its really a true code U, a true RT ? The fender tag IS screwed so how to be sûre its not a repro ? Was the tag originally rivetted ?

anlauto

Judging from your fender tag picture...It's a 70 440 4spd Challenger RT....Go to the main page of this site and enter the info into our fender tag decoded for all the information. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

CudaMoparRay

:welcome: from Sylmar, CA and good hunting to you

xx88man

I believe the fender tag was originally screwed to the inner fender. There are experts on this site that can look at that tag and tell you if it is a repro. The car that belongs to that tag is an RT with a U engine code. I would love a car optioned how that one is. Numbers matching engine is really nice if you are wanting a show car. I like a car I can drive so I prefer an engine that isn't original so I don't have to worry about ruining the original. Depends on your preference.
Keep yer foot in it

1 Wild R/T

It's pretty easy to remove a tag and screw it to another car... But there should be a stamping of the last eight digits of the VIN on the drivers side cowl & on the radiator support....  Follow the link for pictures showing where to look...

https://www.e-bodies.org/buying-your-first-e-body/vin-numbers/e-body-vin-numbers/#cowlradvin

303 Mopar

Quote from: Eblood on October 22, 2018, 07:52:27 AM
https://www.autoscout24.fr/offres/-67fb9278-98bf-9e33-e053-e350040a45f5
Heres a link to the ad.. click on description , there's an english translation.
What do you think about the car ?
Reallly ? Nobody Cares ? In Chevy World ( sorry guys ;) it matters a lot , why IS There a différence about 'mindset'

Maybe you can ask @Husk Challenger to go look at the car for you, or have his friend send pictures of the vin tag, radiator support and cowl numbers.  That way you know what you are getting before jumping on an airplane.