Main Menu

New here and just bought a 1970 Dodge Challenger "R/T" 440!!!

Started by MoparsNBurnouts, March 22, 2021, 11:42:28 AM

Previous topic Next topic

1972V21Cuda

Who would add a vinyl top? I would😆...Vinyl tops are period correct and cool on E-bodies..

Chryco Psycho

nsmall

Quote from: headejm on March 22, 2021, 08:43:36 PM
:iagree:

rallye > steel

If steel, should be body colored

2.5 inch exhaust should work best

:iagree:

I like the vinyl top and congratulations on your purchase.

wes473

Hello and congratulations on the beautiful find!
Nice color combo(clone or not), I think the vinyl top, stripe, and black wheels really look great! A good contrast. How about some interior shots? What are your plans for her?

chargerdon

Congrats !!!   Beautiful car...

My opinions...   I like the vinyl roof...goes well and is period correct.   I also agree with anluto buy yourself a nice set of mag wheels... i personally never liked the steel wheel hubcap look.   

Enjoy !! 

xx88man

Congrats on owning a beautiful Challenger and  :welcome: 
I love the vinyl roof but if it were mine I would go with different wheels
Keep yer foot in it

JS29

Quote from: headejm on March 22, 2021, 05:44:12 PM
:iagree: Love your new ride and  :welcome: to the best E-body site on the planet!

Keep the vinyl top if it looks like it was installed correctly. If the previous owner installed it correctly you will have a bunch of trim holes to weld up if you want to take it off.
That is what I like about the VO2 paint scheme, It uses the chrome to break up the two colors.  :yes:

headejm

I'm pro vinyl top (although it took me 3 attempts to get my SE top installed correctly).  :Thud:

Here's a thought...E-bodies had an option for a different color painted roof. @anlauto I believe you worked on at least one of these. Is the two-tone paint separated by the same vinyl top trim? If so, and a person hates the vinyl, just paint it a contrasting color and reinstall the trim. That is a very cool (and rare) option for our cars. Love to have it on my car.

JS29

anlauto

Quote from: headejm on March 23, 2021, 09:42:45 AM
I'm pro vinyl top (although it took me 3 attempts to get my SE top installed correctly).  :Thud:

Here's a thought...E-bodies had an option for a different color painted roof. @anlauto I believe you worked on at least one of these. Is the two-tone paint separated by the same vinyl top trim? If so, and a person hates the vinyl, just paint it a contrasting color and reinstall the trim. That is a very cool (and rare) option for our cars. Love to have it on my car.

Yea V02 is a pretty rare option and uses the same stainless trim to divide the two paint colours. There no trim pieces used on the bottom of the A pillars though...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MoparsNBurnouts

Thanks everybody! I'm not going to be changing the top anytime soon. I'm going to be adding ported aluminum heads and a bigger cam in the near future. I'm going to be buying some 17's or 18's soon, and upgrading the brakes. I just bought the TTi headers and exhaust, now I'm afraid I might have to buy their ridiculously expensive tips too. I should have gotten 2.5" probably, but I am going to add more power later. I was going to buy electric cut-outs, but buying $468 tips might put a damper on that. I bought a K&N filter with the XStream top, K&N breathers, wire separators, a Tuff wheel (my fav), stainless puke tank for my aluminum radiator, heater hose bracket and aluminum clamp things. None of the gauges are working, the stock shifter doesn't like going in gear, and there is a very odd like humming sound when you are driving. So, I gotta fix that crap. I, also, want rallye gauges, but that might have to wait for later. I'm going to get new headlight bezels, and probably a new grille.
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440

anlauto

Quote from: MoparsNBurnouts on March 23, 2021, 12:54:49 PM
Thanks everybody! I'm not going to be changing the top anytime soon. I'm going to be adding ported aluminum heads and a bigger cam in the near future. I'm going to be buying some 17's or 18's soon, and upgrading the brakes. I just bought the TTi headers and exhaust, now I'm afraid I might have to buy their ridiculously expensive tips too. I should have gotten 2.5" probably, but I am going to add more power later. I was going to buy electric cut-outs, but buying $468 tips might put a damper on that. I bought a K&N filter with the XStream top, K&N breathers, wire separators, a Tuff wheel (my fav), stainless puke tank for my aluminum radiator, heater hose bracket and aluminum clamp things. None of the gauges are working, the stock shifter doesn't like going in gear, and there is a very odd like humming sound when you are driving. So, I gotta fix that crap. I, also, want rallye gauges, but that might have to wait for later. I'm going to get new headlight bezels, and probably a new grille.

I buy all my aftermarket exhaust from TTI, but I buy all my stainless steel Challenger exhaust tips from PG Classics  :alan2cents:
https://pgclassic.com/229-s3-mopar-dodge-e-body-challenger-3-o-d-stainless-exhaust-tips/
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

MoparsNBurnouts

Just bought them, thanks! I, also, bought a flip up gas cap!
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440

anlauto

The only thing with their tips...They maybe the exact same size as the tail pipe, requiring you to take them to an exhaust shop and have them bump the size up a bit to fit "over" the pipe.....That's just something I found with their 2.5" tips.... :alan2cents: Easy fix...

70rag383

Nice car! Welcome to the site. Vinyl top looks good! Rallyes would look awesome on your car.