Main Menu

New Member from Idaho. Could use some coaching.

Started by kawahonda, June 07, 2018, 12:54:04 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kawahonda

Hi everyone!

Some history. When I was growing up in high school in the late 90s, I was a part of a friend circle that drove around muscle cars. I finally ended up with a 1965 Galaxie which was a project to say the least. I spent about 2-3 years of my life, and all my money nursing the car back to health and making it shine again. Long story short: I spent more time working on it than actually driving it once it was finished. Sold it and got an all around car for college. I still drive that car to this day!

Well, many years later, I am thirsting for a 70-74 Challenger/Cuda that is "driver" quality. Being that I have experience in restorations (including motorcycles), I'm well aware of what shoddy work looks like and where rust forms so I know the basics of where/what to look for.

I cannot tell you why I'm looking specifically for a Mopar all of a sudden. I guess I'm a little rebellious. My dad hates dodge, but I'm willing to think he'd be pleasantly surprised and would want to drive it if I ended up with one. :) I also think the e-bodies are the greatest looking muscle cars of all time!

So anyways, I have $32,000 saved up. My thinking is this should easily get me a "driver" quality Cuda/Challenger with a 340 or above V8. Obviously, my preference would be a 4-speed, but as we all know, you cannot be picky with the transmissions when the right car comes along. My goal is to buy something that's ready to drive and enjoy--not a project. I don't want another repeat of the Galaxie that I had when I was younger.

Lots of forum browsing makes it clear that most people are extremely picky when it comes to #'s matching. I however, do not mind having a non-numbers matching, as long as it was priced accordingly and the work that was performed was sound. I figure buying something that you can enjoy and modify ("make better" such as brake enhancements) is more fun than paying more for something that you're afraid to drive and touch...

Anyways, welcome to be on board. I've been looking for the past few months in a 500 mile zone around the Boise area, and it's pretty darn hard to find an e-body. I've been using eBay and Carsonline from time to time to search as well.

I would appreciate any advice.

Some questions:

1) I do not mind the 72-74 Challengers with the right colour combinations and the dorky thick bumper rubbers removed. How easy are those to remove and/or make smaller? I think a 72-74 challenger with a 340 4-speed would rip!

2) How much cost is involved in "de-smogifying" the 72-74 340/360 engines?

3) With a 32k budget, is it pretty unlikely finding a "sound" 70-71 Cuda/Challenger that's "drive" ready and isn't caked with pounds of bondo?

1970 Dodge Challenger A66

Cuda Cody

Welcome @kawahonda   :welcome:  You are right, E-Bodies are the best looking muscle car of all time!   :twothumbsup:   I think you'll be surprised how much $32,000 will get you.  There are some nice E-Bodies in that price range, but you have to be looking and ready to jump on a good car when it comes up.  Good cars that are priced right do sell pretty quick.  I'll keep my eye open for you.

bluespruce

Welcome from Colorado, should be easy to find what you are looking for. Good luck on your search

303 Mopar

Welcome from CO!  $32k will get you a 72-74 Challenger in very good condition and a 72-74 Cuda in decent shape so if you prefer one over the other I would focus on that one.

Jay Bee

:wave:  Welcome aboard from Ontario  :canada:  $32K USD would go pretty far up here, just sayin'.

JS29

:welcome: keep looking, you will find A good car for that budget.

Chryco Psycho

Welcome from Panama  :panama: :wave:
I would only accept a 4 spd also
The 73 -74 engines were not smog engines but did have lower compression , you could drive it while you build a 360 stroker down the road
Bumpers are minor to change to look better

Voodoo Child

Welcome from Pa. I know it's over 500 miles, but check out Southern Motors in  Michigan. They get in some nice non #s matching Cuda's  and Challenger's in your price range. And real car guy's love a road trip!  :twothumbsup:

Timbbuc2

Welcome to the forum, with that kind of money saved you are ahead of the game. . As mentioned you should find a nice car for that.
Get in, I'll drive

RUNCHARGER

Welcome from Chilliwack B.C. Canada. I too think your $$$$ should land you a decent car especially as you are realistic in your expectations. I would expect a really nice, 4 speed if a 2-3-4 car. Or an okay 70-71. The smogger 2-3-4 think pretty much doesn't matter as chances of finding un-diddled with stock examples is pretty small these days. To be honest I would search for a 383 car as they seem to fly under the radar better than the 340 cars and I bet you will get a better car for your $$$. A set of aluminum heads on the easier to work on 383 and your weight bias will be the same too.
Sheldon

kawahonda

Quote from: Brads70 on June 07, 2018, 06:41:02 PM
:welcome: a good friend is selling this, maybe it fits the bill for you?
https://forum.e-bodies.org/cars-for-sale-or-wanted/8/1971-challenger-rt-clone-with-shaker-for-sale/6344/

Beautiful Challenger. Thanks for sharing. Price is a bit high for my budget, and taking shipping into account and buying sight-unseen would certainly blow it way over. Beautiful car though, no doubt! Toronto and Boise are more than half a country away. :)

In a perfect world, my wish list is a 70-71 Challenger with a 440 4-speed. But that's a bit wishful at a 32k budget.

A 383 car would be awesome...no doubt a 383 could roast tires. :)

There's definitely examples of nicely modified 70-71s selling for $30k that are indeed pretty nice, but they're a bit few-and-far in between. I've sent the word to the local mopar nuts that I am in the market. My father has passed the word on in WA so we'll see if that helps. Word of mouth is sometimes the best way to find the best cars.

Definitely want to find a ride that's away from the rust belt!

Thanks for helping me in my quest guys. I consider the 72-74 a "fall back" plan for the challenger. Personally, I feel a little uneasy spending $30k on a 72-74 challenger unless there was something truly amazing about it. As you guys said, the bumpers are an easy replacement, but the frowny grill isn't so easy to revert (I actually don't mind the grille THAT much, but it certainly looks a little "off" and will always look off). Believe it or not, I actually like the rear end of the 72-74s.

I do prefer the body lines of a challenger over a cuda, but I certainly would never swat away the chance to buy a cuda at the right price!

Hard top or vinyl top both look great to me.

1970 Dodge Challenger A66

71-440

:welcome:
Welcome from Atlanta! Good luck on your search!
Joe

dodgemania

Cuda Cody

@kawahonda  a buddy of mine just found a fantastic barn find tonight!  Just a matter of a few hours ago he found this 1970 Challenger 340 rallye hood pretty much original and still original paint.  It would make a super car to drive and enjoy and most likely will be well under your budget.  AND it's in Washington state.  I think he's going to get it running and driving.  It's going to be coming on the market soon so get in touch with him if you want first shot at it (if I don't talk him out of it first).  Looks like it's all numbers matching too!!!!  He's a member on here so maybe he'll be able to post more photos for you.  @70mopes  is the member and his name is Charlie.