Main Menu

**SOLD**Factory reverse lockout 1970 Cuda Challenger automatic

Started by mccannix, January 07, 2023, 05:57:19 PM

Previous topic Next topic

mccannix

This is a factory reverse lockout removed from a 1970 Challenger 340 column automatic car.
Every piece is here to install for correct functioning in an E-body automatic, small and big block,  including 340-6.
Console automatic uses everything pictured here as well,  with the exception of one added piece of lower horizontal linkage
which is supposed to be available in reproduction.
All pieces in super shape , no pitting or innacuracies.
Some of this but not all,  is available in reproduction but is up to double the price that I am asking.
This includes crossshaft, frame and bellcrank brackets, grommets, vertical rod, washers, clips,  all hardware, plus the hard to find flat horizontal bracket.
Picture comparison of an original, courteousy of Alan...thanks
**SOLD**thanks E-bodies for the ad

MoparCarGuy

mccannix

Thanks for the reference drawing.
That is actually for a floor mount console shifter, note the extra rear horizontal rod.
My set-up is for a automatic column car,  but your picture gives the idea of its function

Blowout

Would the shorter rod in this pic (on the right) be the one that would be used on an floor console kit?

anlauto

Quote from: Blowout on January 08, 2023, 07:30:39 AM
Would the shorter rod in this pic (on the right) be the one that would be used on an floor console kit?

YES, that rod goes from the shifter to the transmission and has nothing to do with the "reverse lock out" being sold in the ad. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Blowout

Thanks for the reply @anlauto .  The kit for sale is a for a column shift car.  Mines a floor shift.  I wanted to see if that shorter rod I had would make this kit complete for a console car.  The ad says it's missing the horizontal rod in order to make it a complete kit for a console car.  But guessing you're answer means, that rod has nothing to do with making this kit work on my car? Thanks.

mccannix

Actually that rod on the far right when used in conjucntion with the rod with the flat end works to complete the lockdown linkage for a console shift car.
Only difference is rod with flat end is drilled to accomodate stud on end of OP's rod for console linkage and has the stud for column linkage
All that has to be done is grind off the stud end, drill it to size and join the two
Sound confusing....I'll try and get some pics

anlauto

Quote from: Blowout on January 08, 2023, 07:48:25 AM
Thanks for the reply @anlauto .  The kit for sale is a for a column shift car.  Mines a floor shift.  I wanted to see if that shorter rod I had would make this kit complete for a console car.  The ad says it's missing the horizontal rod in order to make it a complete kit for a console car.  But guessing you're answer means, that rod has nothing to do with making this kit work on my car? Thanks.

That above picture looks the have everything for a 71-74 console equipped car. The system Terry is selling can be modified to work with those part for a 70 system
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Blowout

Thanks for the information.  Now comes the question, how do you know the difference between 70 and 71-74 in those linkages? Is it the end Terry is referring to?

mccannix

In your photo above the oval opening in the plastic of the shift pattern plate lends to the fact that part may be 71 up as Alan stated, but mechanisn chrome shaft looks round like 1970.
The rod on the far right of your picture above is definately the "lower rod" refrenced in the 1970 service manual drawing, required for console automatic 1970 lockout.
Pictures 1 + 2  used for column auto, referenced " column lock rear rod "
With a little creativity one could grind the mounting tab off flat end, drill to size and use in conjunction with "lower rod" and green lever coming off trans ( pic 3, 4 + 5)
Thats basically what the factory had, "column lock rear rod" with two mounting tabs for column auto,
Console rear rod with one tab and alignment hole on other end to be used with the second rod.
Lower rod in your photo on far right only needs swivel to be installed to mount other end as shown.
Pictures 6 and 7 show how it all goes together.
Your long rod next to it should be the same all years 70-74

anlauto

Quote from: Blowout on January 08, 2023, 11:17:05 AM
Thanks for the information.  Now comes the question, how do you know the difference between 70 and 71-74 in those linkages? Is it the end Terry is referring to?

The linkage Terry has for sale can be modified to used in 1970 floor shifted cars. I was NOT used in 1971-74 FLOOR SHIFTED cars ever.

As Terry states, his set is from a COLUMN SHIFTED car, which means it would be the same for all 1970-74 COLUMN SHIFTED cars

Blowout

Thank you for the clarification.  I believe I got what is going on now.  Thanks again guys!