Main Menu

171 master cylinder

Started by FC7 cuda, June 02, 2017, 01:46:34 PM

Previous topic Next topic

JH27N0B

Quote from: Cuda Cody on June 03, 2017, 01:09:20 PM
Shouldn't most parts houses carry a replacement?  I check Rock Auto and they have a bunch of brand new ones.  And they are only around $35.  Might be a good option to use until you can find an original.   :alan2cents:

http://www.rockauto.com/?a=ebodies
Most of those are 4 wheel drum brake master cylinders.
The exception is the Raybestos 36283 and the Dorman and Centric that look similar.
That's the 1-1/8 bore mc I used on my vert for a while that felt a bit grabby.
I used a 71-74 E body disc MC and the similar Aspen/Volare MC for a time in the 90s on my T/A before I started tearing it apart, as I recall it was decent but that was a long time ago!
I had a 9171 core sleeved by my friends at Brake and Equipment warehouse and rebuilt the pistons with original NOS Bendix seals and overall it's the best I've used, like it much better than any new Hecho en China brake parts the stores sell.
I used to work for the company that made Raybestos and Napa united and I mourn the day they sold the company to an investment group, shut down the US and Canadian plants, and moved production to China and India.  :crying: :verymad:

FC7 cuda

I found one that was rebuilt for $750 plus shipping  going to pass on it ..

whitewatersky

Quote from: JH27N0B on June 03, 2017, 01:58:44 PM
Quote from: Cuda Cody on June 03, 2017, 01:09:20 PM
Shouldn't most parts houses carry a replacement?  I check Rock Auto and they have a bunch of brand new ones.  And they are only around $35.  Might be a good option to use until you can find an original.   :alan2cents:

http://www.rockauto.com/?a=ebodies
Most of those are 4 wheel drum brake master cylinders.
The exception is the Raybestos 36283 and the Dorman and Centric that look similar.
That's the 1-1/8 bore mc I used on my vert for a while that felt a bit grabby.
I used a 71-74 E body disc MC and the similar Aspen/Volare MC for a time in the 90s on my T/A before I started tearing it apart, as I recall it was decent but that was a long time ago!
I had a 9171 core sleeved by my friends at Brake and Equipment warehouse and rebuilt the pistons with original NOS Bendix seals and overall it's the best I've used, like it much better than any new Hecho en China brake parts the stores sell.
I used to work for the company that made Raybestos and Napa united and I mourn the day they sold the company to an investment group, shut down the US and Canadian plants, and moved production to China and India.  :crying: :verymad:

(Repost after I found this existing thread...)
I'm considering putting mine on the shelf and buying a replacement to fit onto the car.

save the original from getting screwed up while someone tries to overhaul it.

considering the production location, check the stamping in this screenshot:   MADE IN U.S.A.

would this be best option for going repro/new ?
T/A Auto Plum Crazy

Chryco Psycho

I spent 3 weeks just looking for an incorrect round front master , nothing in the system anywhere  :bricks:

whitewatersky

whooops - i didn't attach the pic.
here's the one that says MADE IN USA

i wonder what part of it was made in USA...
T/A Auto Plum Crazy

JH27N0B

Probably an older picture from when they made them in Litchfield Illinois until about 10 years ago!