Main Menu

Fender Shims

Started by 71vert340, December 19, 2019, 11:29:39 AM

Previous topic Next topic

71vert340

I was wondering where others are getting the fender shims for the bottom of the front fenders. Year One says they'll have some "arriving soon" as part numbers SH5 and SH6 in quantities of 100 per bag at $18+ per bag. These shims measure 1-1/4" by 1-1/8" with thickness of either 1/8" or 1/16".  I could not find them anywhere else. I certainly will never go through 200 in my lifetime with only 4 cars. Mine are rusting and I just want to get new ones. If I have to, I'll buy the bags and sell off what I don't need. Anyone have a source that sells them in smaller quantities? I looked at R/T Specialties and several other places but could not find them. I've attached a photo of my old shims and a photo of the factory drawing. On the drawing the shims are shown just to the right of center. Thanks.
Terry

Cuda Cody

71vert340

I checked the Roseville website and did not find shims. I probably need to contact him directly.
Terry

Shane Kelley

Check with a local body shop. Parts stores that sell paint should have them or be able to get them also.

Rich G.

You can also make them with a piece of flat stock. That's what I wound up doing .

MoparDave

:iagree:
Quote from: Shane Kelley on December 19, 2019, 12:08:29 PM
Check with a local body shop. Parts stores that sell paint should have them or be able to get them also.

any body shop supply source would have shims.
Please Email me at daver@manciniracing.com or call 586-790-4100

JS29

NAPA stores have them, and a nice selection of hardware as well.   :alan2cents: 

71vert340

Thanks for the suggestions. Several years ago before I retired, the place I worked had a machine shop with all the nice equipment (mills, drill presses, etc.) and I was the only one who knew how to use the machines. I would have jumped right on making some then. Now that I'm 67, I look for the easy way out. Shame on me. Anyway, thank you for the suggestions..
Terry

7E-Bodies

I'll second the Napa suggestion. Great selection.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

71vert340

I thank those who responded with suggestions here. I did find the exact shims at my automotive paint store in a WEE package of 8 for about $2.75. NAPA had some but we couldn't find an exact match on the size in their books. I bought a couple of shims that were close if I need them for about $0.75 each. See photo I've attached. The WEE Pack shims besides being the same size had the same finish as the original in the photo. NAPA shim on the top. WEE pack shim on the bottom with the original in the center.
  I  looked through NAPA books and through the WEE book to find the same size 5/16-18 U type nut that is used on the fenders at the bottom but couldn't find them either. I checked McMaster Carr and on line with no luck. Any suggestions. See photo for reference. Everyone had the style on the left but not on the right. The originals are wider and seem to not deform the sheet metal as bad.Thanks.
Terry

71vert340

Torredcuda, that's a good price on the bag of 25 shims for $5.99. Now, I know the NAPA number also but the WEE bag of 8 for about $2.75 including tax I bought locally was better than the NAPA price although I get a discount at our local NAPA. Thanks for the info.
Terry

cudaize

Quote from: 71vert340 on December 20, 2019, 08:48:21 AM
  I  looked through NAPA books and through the WEE book to find the same size 5/16-18 U type nut that is used on the fenders at the bottom but couldn't find them either.

These nuts used to be offered by one of the automotive hardware sellers on ebay.  I just did a quick search but couldn't find them.  I didn't actually buy them as I had enough good originals that I cleaned up and phosphated.  I found them by accident when looking for something else and remember thinking it interesting that they are available.

In regards to the u shaped shims, on the 71 Barracudas I took apart which I don't believe had fender work done, these shims were actually large diameter round washers about 1" in diameter.  There were at least two different thicknesses some about 1/16' and some almost 3/16" thick.  I'm not sure if the round washers were used exclusively on the production line or if the "U" style were used as well.

Mike Afflerbach

71vert340

If you look at the drawing I show at start, it shows both types of shims.  My cars actually used both types. The U shims don't require stud removal to insert. Weird to mix both though on same fender I guess.
Terry