Main Menu

Building Engine Mount Shims?

Started by Cudajason, December 02, 2017, 03:43:01 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudajason

Hey guys,

I am building some engine mount shims for my exhaust project and was looking for suggestions.

I want the sandwich the shims between the rubber isolator and the engine bracket, seems like the only logical place for them.

Looking at the mounts, there is a dimple on the isolator that fists in the engine bracket. 

Is this a critical piece?  I would drill a hole to in the shim over the dimple, but my concern is that the shim will be thicker than this dimple and the dimple will not locate in the engine bracket.

Any thoughts on if this will cause a problem or am I over thinking this?

Jason

Jason

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Chryco Psycho

yes it seems like the only place you can put them You could probably just use some large fender washers over the stud .
The problem is the mount is at a 45* angle it it will become wider as mush as higher so you will not get far before the bolt holes will not line up

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on December 02, 2017, 03:52:47 PM
yes it seems like the only place you can put them You could probably just use some large fender washers over the stud .
The problem is the mount is at a 45* angle it it will become wider as mush as higher so you will not get far before the bolt holes will not line up

Yup... I wouldn't worry about the dimple but you should elongate the hole in the engine bracket & if you use a 1/4" shim you should move the mount down-in 1/8"