Main Menu

Exhaust Manifolds 340 T/A 2863549 2863553 -update

Started by Bossgold, July 26, 2019, 08:23:27 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

I saw a set of these "rare" manifolds for sale at Moparfest today...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

kawahonda

Seems like a good deal.

Curious, does gutting and welding up the exhaust gas valve reduce the value in these? I don't expect that much people would care and would prefer it that way, but curious on your guy's thoughts.

At some point, I'm going to pull mind and have them redone. I'm going to gut them, and my thought was to weld the necessary areas to assure a leak-free manifold.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

Shane Kelley

I just bought this set for 300.00 a couple months ago. They tapped the holes for the heat riser shaft and put short bolts in the holes. I think that would  be the best way to go and looks good. Had a buddy price me a set with the risers for 500.

70 Challenger Lover

I watch these all the time on eBay. They never sell for $300. In fact, I've seen many sell but never under $600 a set.

autoxcuda

Quote from: anlauto on August 16, 2019, 12:52:23 PM
I saw a set of these "rare" manifolds for sale at Moparfest today...

Were they the indented numbers or raised? .... or rusted off

Those are rusty pitted up and welded missing valve.

Watch for paint on manifolds too. It can cover up brazing and repairs.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

Bossgold

my experience for these are the following:

- Top dollar for nice cast finish vs corroded finish. Compare pictures cause those the sat out and rusted heavily can effect the casting clarity and cast iron finish

- Heat riser included adds $ 150 - $ 200 vs welding up the hole.  Its easy to setup a non-functional(no flapper) heat riser tack welded on the inside while the outside looks original

- Inset casting numbers RH 2863549 (riser) and LH 2863553 with L1 & L2 below casting numbers are the correct ones for the AAR and T/A

I think finish is important because its hard to make rough manifolds look like new

anlauto

The ones I pictured were $575 CDN....$420 or so USD and they DO NOT have the raised casted numbers
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: anlauto on August 16, 2019, 03:47:16 PM
The ones I pictured were $575 CDN....$420 or so USD and they DO NOT have the raised casted numbers

I'd buy them and flip them on eBay. I bet you double your money. The non TA/AAR ones never sell for under $600, typically more. And that's the pitted ones from prior to 1970. These should bring big dough. Just make sure you set it up so the buyer pays shipping costs. Shipping costs have become insane in the US.

kawahonda

Quote from: Bossgold on August 16, 2019, 03:33:56 PM
my experience for these are the following:

- Top dollar for nice cast finish vs corroded finish. Compare pictures cause those the sat out and rusted heavily can effect the casting clarity and cast iron finish

- Heat riser included adds $ 150 - $ 200 vs welding up the hole.  Its easy to setup a non-functional(no flapper) heat riser tack welded on the inside while the outside looks original

- Inset casting numbers RH 2863549 (riser) and LH 2863553 with L1 & L2 below casting numbers are the correct ones for the AAR and T/A

I think finish is important because its hard to make rough manifolds look like new

The problem is that they still leak around the pin area on the outside.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

RUNCHARGER

I just found and sold a set of 68-70. I got $400CDN for them. Fast sale. I sold another set 3 years ago for $350CDN and the guy whined about the price.
Sheldon

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on August 16, 2019, 06:30:06 PM
I just found and sold a set of 68-70. I got $400CDN for them. Fast sale. I sold another set 3 years ago for $350CDN and the guy whined about the price.

Maybe the Canadian market is different for some reason but in the US, they are sought after and prized. The passenger side ones seem harder to find but I've taken the driver side ones to the Spring and Fall Fling swaps and they typically are gone in the first ten minutes. I even sold one while waiting in line to get in. And I'm talking 1969 versions that are heavily pitted selling for $300 just for the driver side.

Bossgold

got them today....I was surprised that they are actually nicer than the picture. I was worried they'd be crap. True, the heat riser is missing but nice shape manifolds that are not corroded and beat to S#@+. The ones that are nice on ebay are selling for $ 900 to $ 1000 if in nice shape. The shipping is $ 71 in an 18X12X9 Box at 31 pounds(coast to Coast)....so watch the gougers. Like the set on ebay now with     
$ 199 shipping(and it ain't Canada)

autoxcuda

Quote from: Bossgold on August 17, 2019, 01:24:24 PM
got them today....I was surprised that they are actually nicer than the picture. I was worried they'd be crap. True, the heat riser is missing but nice shape manifolds that are not corroded and beat to S#@+. The ones that are nice on ebay are selling for $ 900 to $ 1000 if in nice shape. The shipping is $ 71 in an 18X12X9 Box at 31 pounds(coast to Coast)....so watch the gougers. Like the set on ebay now with     
$ 199 shipping(and it ain't Canada)

Nice !

And great they were not painted so you could see what you are buying
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...