Main Menu

Valve cover gaskets choice?

Started by Spikedog08, August 22, 2023, 02:01:42 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Spikedog08

So I have MOPAR performance black wrinkle big block valve covers and they are leaking so looking to replace.  Out of these choices, what would you pick?

https://www.manciniracing.com/valcovgas1.html
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

headejm

One vote for Fel Pro. My go-to gasket brand for most, if not all , gaskets.

Skdmark

Another vote for Fel-pro. They've never given me a problem.
Just put a set of their valve cover gaskets on my 318 last year.

I've used Fel-pro for the last 32 years. Thanks to @MOPAR MITCH who hooked 17 year old me up with a complete engine kit for my 383. He was also kind enough to give me a tutorial on proper installation techniques.

:twothumbsup:
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

Racer57

I had issues with the passenger side back corner on my 383. Used several different brands/types without much luck. Someone here recommended the Moroso Perm-Align Valve Cover Gaskets That was 4-5 years ago and no leaks.

dodj

I don't remember the brand, maybe moroso, but mine are some kind of rubber with steel sleeves at each bolt hole to prevent over compression. Work great. Have removed the valve covers dozens of times and reused the gasket. No leaks yet in over 10 years. I wouldn't recommend cork if you feel you are going to remove the valve covers from time to time.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Spikedog08

Quote from: Skdmark on August 22, 2023, 04:22:18 PM
Another vote for Fel-pro. They've never given me a problem.
Just put a set of their valve cover gaskets on my 318 last year.

I've used Fel-pro for the last 32 years. Thanks to @MOPAR MITCH who hooked 17 year old me up with a complete engine kit for my 383. He was also kind enough to give me a tutorial on proper installation techniques.

:twothumbsup:

If you have any helpful hints on replacing the valve cover gaskets, I'm listening . .
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

chargerdon

Had the same problem with my 383 in my charger.   Then i saw an article that showed with the popular aluminum edelbrock intake manifold that it can be slightly too high in the back corner preventing it from being torqued down properly.   

Shaved it with a grinder and used rubber gaskets and voila...Oh..and lastly i put down a layer of "the right stuff" oh the head itself then the gasket on till it partly set up and no leak.