Main Menu

1971 production by color

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, May 07, 2019, 06:39:06 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

Anyone have any figures on production by color for 1971 Barracudas? I find information on Challengers and other Mopars but nothing for the Plymouth e bodies.

Cuda Cody

@6bblgt  might have the report on 1971.

anlauto

I think GY8 is somewhere around 5% of total 71 Barracuda production  :thinking: likely 800 or so
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: anlauto on May 07, 2019, 07:15:23 AM
I think GY8 is somewhere around 5% of total 71 Barracuda production  :thinking: likely 800 or so

I noticed that with the Challenger and it makes sense that it would be similar for the Cudas. The thing that seemed weird was that color was more popular in the other models so I suppose buyers must have wanted flashier colors on their e body cars.

6bblgt

I haven't seen any 1971 Barracuda-line color numbers for the full year's production

there was a spring '71 chart (partial year) that showed color trends for the Plymouths - it shows GY8 "gold leaf metallic" at 4.9% for Barracudas

in "a perfect world" that would equate to ~50 (of 1,014) Barracuda convertibles (BH27) in GY8

70 Challenger Lover

Thank you for posting that. Seems to be inline with the challenger figures then. Are there any figures on interior color production? I'm guessing no. I would think many of these gold cars were ordered with white or brown interiors.

6bblgt

the Challenger numbers are probably not very accurate either (think "BALLPARK" accuracy)

if the above was published in the spring for dealers to be aware of current/changing trends, it was probably tabulated during the winter
FY1 was recently added to the available colors and few were built (at that point) - more plentiful in later months
if the "Shriners" already ordered their ~10 EL5 / H6T7 convertibles
&
if the NAVY already ordered their ~10 GW3 / H6B5 convertibles

it would skew these numbers based on how few Barracuda convertibles were actually built for 1971

70 Challenger Lover

There were so many possible combos I suppose so many cars are truly unique in some way or another.

6bblgt

in the small sample of '71 e-body car's data I have organized:
16 cars painted GY8
6 cars gold interior - all Challengers
5 cars black  interior
3 cars white interior
2 cars tan interior (yours included)

70 Challenger Lover

So is there supposed to be insulation under the hood?

anlauto

Does it have H51 or  J55 on the BCS ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

anlauto

Quote from: 6bblgt on May 07, 2019, 11:03:47 AM
the Challenger numbers are probably not very accurate either (think "BALLPARK" accuracy)

if the above was published in the spring for dealers to be aware of current/changing trends, it was probably tabulated during the winter
FY1 was recently added to the available colors and few were built (at that point) - more plentiful in later months

When were the SG-30-31 reports published ?

6bblgt

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on May 07, 2019, 11:58:23 AM
So is there supposed to be insulation under the hood?

J55 = undercoating w/hood insulation pad
& yes, it's on the broadcast sheet(s)

70 Challenger Lover

Cool! Those are the little things I want to correct once I get the car.

6bblgt

Quote from: anlauto on May 07, 2019, 12:15:02 PM
Quote from: 6bblgt on May 07, 2019, 11:03:47 AM

When were the SG-30-31 reports published ?

they were not "published", they were internal Chrysler Corp. documents for in-house departments, product planning, sales, marketing, etc.
these reports were 1,000+ pages & the known pages that circulate account for 50-100 pages for a given year (I have yet to see a single c-body page)
they were tabulated before all year end product was shipped & usually account for ~90% of production

most published engine/transmission & OPTION data/numbers are not full year production accurate - it is in the 10% unaccounted for/short range  :unbelievable: