Main Menu

Challenger Shaker N96 Hood history / Notes

Started by Cuda Cody, January 11, 2017, 12:16:08 AM

Previous topic Next topic

benlavigne

I am looking for more info on all the different parts, brackets, etc... that make up the Shaker assembly. I am trying to piece together a setup for my Challenger.
I have found this partial page on Steve Magnante's website, anybody have a better copy? Or another diagram?
Thanks in advance,

Ben

cataclysm80

Update:
I stumbled across a Challenger flat hood which used version  2 skin (topside) and version 3 shell (underbracing).

I'm thinking this would be from late 71 production, but I don't have change over dates for each hood feature.
I don't know how many flat hoods were made like this, but it's  theoretically possible that a shaker hood could have been built during the same time frame with version 2 skin and version 3 shell.

Just wanted to make a note here, in case anyone happens to find an odd hood like that.

YYZ

I have seen two original Challenger shaker hoods with the type 3 top (no stamping for Fratzog).  One was NOS and on display in Ron Adair's (Great Lakes NOS) tent at Carlisle many, many years ago.

The other was also NOS and purchased from Chrysler Canada for about $400 in the late 1980s.  It found its way onto a black '70 in Southwestern Ontario, though I haven't seen that car in decades.

To the best of my knowledge that style never made it onto a production vehicle

screamindriver

Sorry Ben, somehow your request slipped by without a response...Better late than never...

benlavigne

Thanks @screamindriver !
Lots of small parts to find... Should keep me busy for a while!

Ben

RzeroB

With all those parts and pieces it's still hard for me to believe that it was only an extra $97.30 to get the Shaker option.  :looney:
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

Topcat

That would equate to about $600 according to the inflation calculator.

Pretty cheap if you tell me.

varunner

Does anyone have a copy of the memo, or TSB,  that talks about the T/A hood being avaliable with the 383 engine ?

anlauto

Quote from: varunner on January 02, 2019, 06:36:59 PM
Does anyone have a copy of the memo, or TSB,  that talks about the T/A hood being avaliable with the 383 engine ?

You want to talk with Dan @6bblgt
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

$97.30 was a deal alright. What a mistake it would have been to tell them to build Your Hemi Challenger without the shaker you ordered when the dealer would have called you to tell you your car would be delayed.
Sheldon

71vert340

When Dean B. (the original owner) ordered my car, he got an even better deal on the shaker hood - $94.00 even. When I checked out ordering a shaker hood in 1977 from Dodge for the 70 R/T convertible I had, there were 6 left in the system at about $600 each. I should have bought some then but I was making $5.25/hr as an apprentice and could not afford it as I had just bought my 3 bedroom house at $22,500. If I only had known.
Terry

varunner

Thanks, I will.

Is N94 the sales code for a shaker or a T/A hood on a non-T/A car ? 

anlauto

Quote from: varunner on January 03, 2019, 03:28:23 AM
Thanks, I will.

Is N94 the sales code for a shaker or a T/A hood on a non-T/A car ?

N94 is T/A Hood
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

varunner

Thanks. I have a sales brochure that mentions the T/A hood will be available on non-T/A cars. I'd like to gather whatever OEM documentation there is that supports that.  I am getting ready to run a challenger in nhra stock with that hood and it would be nice to have some good paperwork in my back pocket if I need it.