Main Menu

E-Body Ash Tray Rivets (tool & rivets)

Started by Cuda Cody, February 09, 2017, 04:40:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Aar1064

screamindriver

Thanks for the heads up Tony.... :bigthumb:  Looks like I'll be waiting on those to come out...

cataclysm80

I don't have all of my books handy at the moment, but it seems like this would be a good place to mention what the original plating is, for those who would like to replate their original.

Is it clear zinc?

realn96

Quote from: anlauto on February 10, 2017, 08:13:35 AM
WOW AWESOME TONY....A much needed part :worship:

just the other day I was thinking the same thing! :iagree: :bigthumb:

Cuda Cody

Just tested with the CA2005-13 die and it's way better for getting clamping power and making the rivets sit tight and perfect.  But it's a lot hard to get on.  You either have to put the hand squeezer on and adjust it (which takes awhile and helps if you have tiny hands) or put the top die (CA2005-13) on after the hand squeezer is in place.  That's what I'm doing.  Either way, it's harder to get on, but works better.

With that said, unless you have a lot of these to do or you going for high end OEM judging, I would not recommend this tool.   :alan2cents:

Convertcuda

Cody,

Thanks for all helpful information. I ordered the tools today! I will let you know how it works. I have like 15 ashtrays to do. Should be a lot fun with the right tools.

Ken

Check out my website: ebodyconvertibleconversions.com

HEMICUDA

Quote from: Convertcuda on February 16, 2017, 04:43:41 AM
Cody,

Thanks for all helpful information. I ordered the tools today! I will let you know how it works. I have like 15 ashtrays to do. Should be a lot fun with the right tools.

Ken

Check out my website: ebodyconvertibleconversions.com

Kenny, I've seen the size of your fingers, you'll never get them in there. :) :) :) :)

farmboy70

This tool works great for tighten the mirror bases when the glass comes loose also.
Dave

fc7cuda

Quote from: farmboy70 on March 25, 2017, 04:27:04 PM
This tool works great for tighten the mirror bases when the glass comes loose also.
Dave

Great idea!  :idea:

Imrare

Cuda Cody,

I realize this is an older post but I am needing to install an ashtray insert in my 1970 Cuda. Your 2017 thread was provided to me by a member in response to my question of how best to install the rivets in the ashtray. I found your thread provided GREAT information.  My goal is to have the insert installed perfectly, as per factory. I am seriously considering purchasing the Hanson Rivet & Supply HS 22E rivet tool as suggested in your post ($110.00). However, I want to be sure I purchase the correct "dies" because of the recess of the rivets on both ends. Looking at the Hanson website, my thought was to purchase "head die" #CA2009 (3/8") and "roll die" #CA2005-12 (3/4"). Do you know what die #'s you purchased with your tool? Also, can you give me an approximate total travel length of the "ram" in the rivet tool. That way I know how much tolerance I have in ordering the dies.  Thank you.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Imrare

Now that I look at the ashtray again, I probably need to have a "head die" of 3/4" (CA2005-12) as opposed to 3/8" since the rivets are recessed 1" on the back side. I'm assuming there is at least 3/4" of travel in the "ram".

Cuda Cody

@Imrare  where are you located?  If you are close to me (Beautiful Brush Prairie, WA) you are more than welcome to stop by and use my tool for free.  I'm sure I have extra rivets too so you would not have to spend any money at all.

karki

Go to your lokal icehockey club gear man and borrow his rivet tool for skates
He proberly have right rivets too

Imrare

I appreciate the offer of coming by and using your rivet tool Cuda Cody but I am located in the St. Louis area of Missouri. I have the rivets, I just need the tool. If you still have the die #'s, of the dies that you purchased (that I need to order) or the lengths of the dies, that would take a little bit of the mystery out of it for me.

Or, if you would want to sell your tool (if your done with it), I would be a buyer. Better yet, if I could rent it from you after first sending you the appropriate deposit ($200?) and return it for a refund of the deposit, less the rental and postage amount, that would be great if you would be open to that? I know it is a long-shot but I thought I would at least ask.

Thank you for your prompt rely and the information provided,

Bob Hunsel
St. Charles, MO