Main Menu

E-Body Ash Tray Rivets (tool & rivets)

Started by Cuda Cody, February 09, 2017, 04:40:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

There's 3 little tubular rivets that are a little hard to duplicate if you're going for a nice original factory look.  I've used a couple different methods to assemble the ash tray and wanted to share what I've found that works best for a factory appearance.  The Hand Rivet Squeezer is the biggest cost.  I use the Hanson HS-42E and it runs about $145, but I think the HS-22E will work just as good.  The HS-22E comes in at $110.  Here's a link to the Hand Rivet Squeezers:

http://www.hansonrivet.com/tools-machines/tubular-rivet-tools-machines/hand-rivet-squeezers/

You'll also need the Squeezer Dies.  They run $16 each and you'll need both a Truss Head and Tubular Roll.  The two you'll use are CA2004-8 and CA2005-13.

http://www.hansonrivet.com/tools-machines/riveting-accessories/riveting-squeezer-dies-2/

The last thing you'll need is the Rivets!  These are very affordable.   :)  You can get them from anyone that sells AMK products like David at Roseville @MoparDave  It would be best to add them to another order since they will probable cost more to ship then they do to buy by themselves.  The size is 1/8 X .16 OV HD TUBULAR RIVET Zinc. $3.00 = 25 pk

https://www.amkproducts.com/bulk3.asp?part=B-10768

So for about $200 you can make 3 little rivets look just like the factory.   :Thud:  Ya, I know.  That's crazy.  I'm not suggesting everyone buy these tool.  It's a big waste of money if you're only going to use it once.  So what else can you do?  If you are anywhere close to the beautiful and wonderful area known as Brush Prairie, WA then stop by and use mine for free.   :D  Or use a normal rivet gun and some standard rivets and save the $200.  :yes:   You can pay someone else to restore your Ash Tray too.  But if you are the type that chases perfection and likes to do things for yourself, you now have an option to duplicate the factory tubular rivets.

Convertcuda

Thanks Cody! This is some great information. The tool looks great but does it have enough reach to get to the two rivets in the back of the ashtray?
I plan to get the tool and post some pictures for other to see. Also, be cool to find out what rivets the e-body heater box takes and tools to replace them also. If anyone has experience with this please chime in.

Thanks Ken.

screamindriver

Hey Ken good to see you here...

Cody great info...rather than pay the 200 bucks to buy that rivet system I'd be willing to pay you to reset the ashtray insert...Any interest in doing that for members that have their ashtrays replated ??? I think the ashtray reciever and insert would easily fit in a smaller USPS priority flat rate box for the ride..

Cuda Cody

@Convertcuda   Good question and that's the hardest part on these Ash Trays, reaching those back two rivets.  I just ordered a new longer (better) squeezer die (#2005-13).  I was using the 2005-9 which was a little short and it just barely reached.  But it worked so I'm 95% sure the longer 2005-13 will be the prefect set up for these.  I should have the new squeezer die in a few days.  I'll let you know for sure that it's the perfect set up for the dies once I test it out.

You can see in the photo why I think the 2"x2" hand squeezer will work too.  The one I have (2"x4" depth) isn't really needed.  But I originally bought it because I didn't know what was the best one and wanted to be safe.

Quote from: Convertcuda on February 09, 2017, 06:06:55 PM
Thanks Cody! This is some great information. The tool looks great but does it have enough reach to get to the two rivets in the back of the ashtray?
I plan to get the tool and post some pictures for other to see. Also, be cool to find out what rivets the e-body heater box takes and tools to replace them also. If anyone has experience with this please chime in.

Thanks Ken.

Cuda Cody

I'm not against that idea, but I would hate for something to get damaged in shipping.   :(  I don't want to ruin anyone's ash tray either.  What if I put a scratch in it or slip with the rivet squeezer?  I like ruining my own stuff better.

Quote from: screamindriver on February 09, 2017, 06:35:02 PM
Hey Ken good to see you here...

Cody great info...rather than pay the 200 bucks to buy that rivet system I'd be willing to pay you to reset the ashtray insert...Any interest in doing that for members that have their ashtrays replated ??? I think the ashtray reciever and insert would easily fit in a smaller USPS priority flat rate box for the ride..

fc7cuda

Perhaps the tool could be available to members in a way to assure it's returned?  :alan2cents:

Tom

Convertcuda

Great detailed picture. Let me know when you get it then I will order one.  Thanks Ken

ScottSmith_Harms

Cody,

Great job! Nice of you to share with your fellow enthusiasts. This example is one of many that detail what kind of effort and expense can go into performing a proper restoration on one of these cars.  :wrenching:

TONY

and in a few months we'll be offering new ashtray inserts for e-bodies and 68-70 b-bodies

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

fc7cuda

Good looking part! :bigthumb:

How well/flush do they fit the door?  Holes line up?

Tom

TONY

Yes, they will fit as originals do

we spend alot of time fine tuning the parts we make so they fit and look correct

thank you
Tony

Cuda Cody

:woohoo:  Those have been needed a long time!!!!   :clapping:  That's going to make things way easier now.  Nice done Tony.   :twothumbsup:

Spikedog08

Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!