Main Menu

Frame rack ideas

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, September 29, 2017, 06:28:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

1Burgfish

:wrenching: Are there any blue prints, plans, or kit where one can build a jig for a Cuda? Also where can one get the measurements for a 71 Cuda like the schematics above for the Challenger?  Thank you all in advance.

RUNCHARGER

That drawing came from a factory service manual.
Sheldon

1Burgfish

:wrenching: Thanks RUNCHARGER; does anyone have the factory service manual for the 71 Cuda-Barracuda?

Timbbuc2

Get in, I'll drive

1Burgfish

:wrenching: Thanks Timbbuc2 I will check it out to see if it has the under body measurements.

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: Mymcodebee on March 24, 2018, 07:09:35 AM
I made this for my rag and was made from factory prints above.  Have about $400-500 in material.

That's kind of what I was looking for! Thanks for the picture.

Been off of here a while focusing on fun stuff but gonna try to stay more connected to the forum discussions if I can.

Mopar5

Regarding the measurement points of the car in the sketch , Is the datum line the floor ,or just a flat level surface such as the top of the  jig?

70 Challenger Lover

Both. If you were to strip the car to the frame and set it on the garage floor, it should rest on the four lowest points at the front and rear cross members. Since that isn't practical to work on, the jig or table raises it up. What I did was put cross beams at the four resting points and add in the thickness of that bar so all my measurements came out right.

When I started this post, my thought was to make a dedicated jig or stand with 6" posts to bolt the car to. Then any frame measurements would correspond to the factory blueprint. I'd still like to do something like this but now I'm thinking I'd need a way to break it down for storage or easier moving.

I enjoy saving these old cars so when I retire in a couple years, I probably will make such a jig but come up with a way to reposition the resting posts so it could work for other makes and models.

Mopar5

Mymcodebee

Heading to the blaster.   
Rack loads on the trailer and tied down in 5 minutes with winch.   My 5 year old literally ran the winch and I just made sure things were straight..
Car is tied to rack with k frame bolts and rear trunk pan bolts.  Had to add some smaller casters to the front and rear as I made this rack very long to accommodate other cars. 

Mymcodebee

Another.

70 Challenger Lover

@Mymcodebee that looks super useful and versatile. I'm finishing up on my RT now and then I'll be turning my attention back to the other Challenger that needs more frame work. I'm definitely going to build something like you have there. I think when I do it, I may try to make the points that go up the car frame adjustable so I can use it for different Mopars if I ever want to. I'd also like to have removable cross beams for storage or for width adjustment. I have tons of heavy square tubing specific for building hitch receivers so making something that I can break down shouldn't be too hard.

I think the other thing I like about the rack idea is that I could do mild pulls here and there to straighten stuff if needed.

Mymcodebee

My uprights come off as well.  They are just tacked on there and I'll simply slice them off when I need to do a b-body.

I only have about $300-$400 in material.   My brother is building another one so we have two in the shop as they work great to place the whole body together and keep everything square. 

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: Mymcodebee on March 06, 2019, 12:11:38 PM
My uprights come off as well.  They are just tacked on there and I'll simply slice them off when I need to do a b-body.

I only have about $300-$400 in material.   My brother is building another one so we have two in the shop as they work great to place the whole body together and keep everything square.

The tack and cut later idea works too. Hadn't thought of that. I tend to overdo stuff. Lol

That was my main reason for wanting such a rack. I built a really crude one when I did the whole front end and everything came out perfect. When I start in on the back, I will be replacing pretty much everything from the rear window back so I want to feel good about alignment as it comes together.

Mymcodebee

Sounds like you need this piece from Dynacorn!!