Main Menu

Tie rod puller

Started by 61K T/A, January 26, 2017, 08:14:03 AM

Previous topic Next topic

61K T/A

Does one exist where it won't mangle the boot when removing? I had some luck (limited success) removing using 2 hammers hitting simultaneously.

Cuda Cody

Not that I know of.  Hammers and pickle fork is all I do.  But don't most new kits have the new boot?  Or you trying to save an original one?

61K T/A

Yes, there's 2 reasons. I want to save the original and there seems not to be a good fitting replacement for the one in the kit.

Chryco Psycho

I never use a pickle fork well almost never !
just a couple of good hard hits & they pop apart everytime ... well except last year , I had a stubborn one & ended up using the fork & got it apart but the hole ball popped out of the socket never did get the pin out of the arm just replaced the entire arm  this was not on a mopar BTW

cataclysm80

I have Hooker headers on my 'Cuda that require threading the center link between the pipes.
I've been using a 2 jaw puller.
Works fine, never damaged a boot yet.
When it realeases, it goes with a bang though, NOT gentle!
You don't want to be in the way trying to do that under the car, be careful.

61K T/A

Where can I get a 2 jaw puller?

Cuda Cody

Most Auto Parts store carry the cheap ones.  Some will even "loan" them to you if you're buying parts from them.

Quote from: 61K T/A on February 15, 2017, 01:44:41 PM

GoodysGotaCuda

Use this, it typically works on tie rod ends as well. Leave the nut on the end of the tie rod to protect the threads as you pop it loose. You also don't have to hammer on things, which annoys me quite a bit!

Lube the threads with anti-seize or at least some form of oil or grease.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-quarter-inch-forged-ball-joint-separator-99849.html

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

61K T/A

Now THAT'S what i'm looking for! Thanks!!!!!

RUNCHARGER

I put pressure on them with the puller and if it is seeming pretty tight I'll smack the side of the tie rod and it'll pop loose.
Sheldon

Cudino

About 15 years ago a company called American Muscle Restoration Tools made a great Mopar suspension tool kit, which included tools for Torsion Bar removal, Ball Joint removal, Pivot Shaft bushing removal, etc.  This kit included a Tie Rod Separator tool.  Works great, in fact I used mine just this past weekend to remove my center link so I could get my oilpan off.  Here's a picture.

- Wade

Cuda Cody

Wow, that's cool!  Never see nonce of those before.  @Cudino  do they still make that tool?

Cudino

Quote from: Cuda Cody on February 15, 2017, 09:44:01 PM
Wow, that's cool!  Never see nonce of those before.  @Cudino  do they still make that tool?
Seems to me that the American Muscle guys went out of business about 10 years ago, maybe longer...  I bought this kit in the early 2000s through Just Suspension.  And I don't think the American Muscle guys ever offered this tool as a stand-alone item, as I remember it only came with their complete toolkit.  A few of their tools were very ingenious.

- Wade

cataclysm80

Quote from: 61K T/A on February 15, 2017, 01:44:41 PM

I picked one up at the local auto parts store.
It's the same tool I used to remove you pitman arm.

cataclysm80

Oh yeah, I bought one of those American Muscle suspension tool kits. 
I bought it for the torsion bar removal stuff, but I'm pretty sure it came with other tools that I haven't tried yet.
I guess I need to get it out and see what I have.