Main Menu

Anyone know which Dealer Received my AAR?

Started by 96IndyRam, September 05, 2019, 10:58:30 PM

Previous topic Next topic

96IndyRam

Can anyone tell me which dealer my AAR was originally ordered from/shipped to?

The VON for it is M04596. (See attached photo)

I've seen quite a few AAR fender tags where the VON starts with an "M", maybe they all start with an "M"?

I got the car in the early 90's from a friend of mines dad. He owned it since the late 70's and bought it from another guy (not the original owner) here in So Cal.

Maybe it was ordered-shipped to-sold by a Dealer in So Cal. ??

Any help/insight would be appreciated!

nsmall

Let me the first to say  :welcome: from the top of LA county. 

Sorry I cant help you but feel free to introduce yourself and share some pics, they are easy to upload on this site.   :bradsthumb:

6bblgt

:welcome: & Very Interesting!!  :looney:

is it coded for N95 - E.C.S. emissions (CA required)

the AARs with M-VONS are the "sales bank" cars that were NOT ordered by an individual or dealer, so the VON does not appear to point towards a specific dealership

I have the long block from AAR 0B306942 here in Las Vegas (& I know nothing about the whereabouts of the original car, but maybe it also originated in CA ??)
https://forum.e-bodies.org/parts-misc-for-sale/9/340-ta-long-block-disassembled-for-sale/11614/

JS29

7E-Bodies

:welcome: :grouphug: welcome to the group. You're in the right place and 6bblgt is a vault of data that has helped me a bunch.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

96IndyRam

Just checked the build sheet closer and it looks like my car was equipped with - N95 - so based on your reply it must have come to a California Dealer. (See: attached photo)

I guess since it was a Sales Bank unit there is no way to know which dealer it landed at in Ca. :-(

I've been trolling the net to see if there was a list of Chrysler-Plymouth Dealers that were in operation at the time but haven't found such a list. Do you have any idea if that kind of document exists?

Sounds like that's one piece of the puzzle as to my car's history that will be lost in time.

As a side note my car does have its original #'s matching block. When I lived in Mi I did see an AAR at a car show out there that was originally from Ca that was 2 digits off in the last number of the VIN. It was Sublime but had a 440 in it because the original engine was long gone.

Mine is a Factory FE5 Rallye Red non Vinyl Top car.

6bblgt

with more than 10% of the 1970 'cudas having N95, the vast majority were sold in CA - but "sales bank" cars still sitting in factory lots near the end of the model year could be "pushed" on a receptive dealership anywhere
but ODDS are - it was sold new in CA
I do have an INVOICE for a 340 'cuda w/N95 "SOLD" new outside of Pittsburgh, PA

if interested, I can let you know when the car was "In Plant/In Process" on the assemble line VS. its "SCHEDULED" 4/15/70 production date
https://forum.e-bodies.org/vin-fender-tag-build-sheet-and-date-codes/13/actual-production-date-vs-scheduled-production-date/810/

just add the complete sheet here or in the other thread (or email to dhead68@hotmail.com) - Dan

6bblgt

your best chance of finding the original selling dealer would be to talk with prior owners - most used cars didn't wander too far from home in the '70s
( :thinking:  do you have the original blue/yellow CA plates? )

I have a 1988 Dealer Directory that shows around 200 dealerships in CA

I also have a dealer list from ~1970 with ~6000 entries, they are listed by Dealer # - it's almost converted to a searchable excel file - but most do not show whether they have a Chrysler, Plymouth, Dodge or a mixed combination of franchises.

here is a LA area PLYMOUTH list from June '65  :takealook:

96IndyRam

Yes my car does have the original Blue/Gold Ca Plates on it. And I know from the sequence number it must have been registered in mid 1970 since the Alpha Characters start with a 'B'.

I'm sending you my build sheet via a PM.

I would love to get a copy of the excel file you have - maybe you would share via a PM back?

bc3j

I have a similar quest finding the dealer that ordered my LA built 70 Challenger RT. It was supposed to have gone to Arizona. It's a N95 car order #158452. Is there any truth to dual exhaust cars titled in CA having to have down turned exhaust tips?  No build sheet.

JS29

@bc3j I is uncommon to find a build sheet in a car that came from the LA plant.  :alan2cents:

js27

My 70 R/T was also a N95. I bought it from a guy up the road from me in PA. He lived in CAlif and bought the car there. Still had the CA tags on it and the tag had a dealers frame from Escondito Dodge. I tried to get in touch with them but closed up in the 90's. I tried a title search in CA but was told they only keep records for 5 years. So your chances of finding the original owner or dealer are slim. Good Luck Though.
JS27

6bblgt

Quote from: bc3j on September 11, 2019, 07:04:18 AM
I have a similar quest finding the dealer that ordered my LA built 70 Challenger RT. It was supposed to have gone to Arizona. It's a N95 car order #158452. Is there any truth to dual exhaust cars titled in CA having to have down turned exhaust tips?  No build sheet.

if you have a N95 Challenger that was sold new in AZ - odds are it was a "SALES BANK" (Y16) car - not ordered by a customer (Y14) nor spec'd by a dealership for STOCK * the VON - build order - would have originated at Chrysler  :alan2cents:

1970 cars registered NEW in CA were required to have ECS (N95) "CA emissions"
also for 1970 - the 440+6 & HEMI e-bodies required Noise Reduction (N97) which "deleted" the STANDARD bright exhaust tips (N42)

AFAIK - there is no STOCK/factory way to delete the STANDARD "tips" from a 340, 383HP, 440HP 'cuda, 340 Challenger or 383HP, 440HP Challenger R/T

bc3j

Thanks 6bblgt. I figured the chances of finding the AZ dealer is going to be extremely slim. I made a public records request to AZ Department of Motor Vehicles and was denied as not meeting the standards, ie law enforcement or a dealer's license. I live in Ohio and the public records laws here are easier to obtain vehicle title information. Thanks again.  I'm always impressed by wealth of information on this forum!

Chryco Psycho