Main Menu

Body serial number stamp

Started by cuda hunter, May 03, 2022, 08:05:13 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cuda hunter

Does anyone here know, or possibly knew anyone on the line that had something to do with the vin stamping on the bodies?

I'm curious if the vin stamps on an ebody were stamped at the same time while the car was apart. 
What did the machine look like?   
Was it a mobile item that stamped the two areas after they were welded together? 
Were the same exact stamps used on the two pieces of metal?  Possibly having the same defects as each other.

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

Well, 531 views and not one person even has an opinion to give.  That's pretty different if I must say.   

Anyone?   

Didn't the ECS guy, Dave I think it was, work for the factory?  Perhaps in some of his writings there could be information about this process. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Bullitt-

some info here... seems to me this would have to be done after the body was assembled.
https://www.e-bodies.org/buying-your-first-e-body/vin-numbers/e-body-vin-numbers-page-3/
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

anlauto

Don't think any of us worked on the line in the 60/70's  :haha: From What I understand the cars were stamped after the shell was assembled, both stamps done at the same time with the same machine...so yes they should both have the same defects :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cuda hunter

Thanks Wade!  That is some of what I am looking for. 
Notice it mentions the "wheel" when changing stamp components.  That's what I would like to see pictures of.  This thing on an extremely adjustable arm?  Clamped on the radiator and the cowl to back the stamp so it wouldn't cave in?  Very curious.

" The tool that was used to stamp these hidden Body VINs had wheels that could be turned to change the characters.  So when the wheel was adjusted to stamp the Cowl and Radiator Support they normally didn't make any changes between stamps. "

70vert

no idea how it was done, but the cowl stamp on my 70 Challenger Convertible is barely visible and some of the VIN is not visible at all.