Main Menu

Fender tag

Started by lstinker, August 01, 2022, 06:53:27 PM

Previous topic Next topic

lstinker

Hi Guys I'm new to this forum I would like to see if anyone could answer a question. I have put a deposit on a 72 Cuda the fender tag has at the very top the numbers 15 on a slant does this mean anything? I will try to post a pic. Thanks for all your help

headejm

I'd ask @Burdar. He really knows the 72 - 74 models. It looks like an inspector's mark and not a particular feature of the car.

6bblgt

:iagree:  inspector's stamp  :takealook:  here's a '72 Challenger with "15" also

cuda hunter

Oh wow.  Another 15.   

So, same inspector or same inspector's station on the production line?

That's pretty cool to have another tag with the same inspectors stamp.  Don't see that very often.   

That GY8 is an incredible color!   Great looking car!
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

tnljohnson

blown motor

Great looking car @lstinker and welcome to the forum. 
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

cuda hunter

The two tags above are separated by 12,291 vin sequence numbers.

@lstinker 72 was produced on 307
@6bblgt  72 tag was produced on 316
9 days apart.

The VON numbers are separated by 70,409 numbers. 

Does this mean that the 316 car that was on the same assembly line 9 days later than 307 would have been ordered 70,409 people before the 316 car was ordered at a dealership?

How does that correlate between order numbers, vin number and actual production dates?

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

anlauto

It's my understanding that the VON number comes from the pad of order forms each dealer had, therefore two cars could have close VIN's but their VON's be way different....Of course I expect Dan to correct me on that  :yes:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6bblgt

:iagree: the VON has no relationship to the VIN or SCHEDULE - it is the "order number" for a specific car. 
123456 could be a Challenger built 9/15/71
123457 could be a Challenger built 6/15/72 or vice-versa

6bblgt

there can also be a Barracuda & Challenger with the same VON

6bblgt

Quote from: cuda hunter on August 03, 2022, 12:55:34 PM

@lstinker 72 was produced SCHEDULED on 307
@6bblgt  72 tag was produced SCHEDULED on 316
9 days apart.

cuda hunter

Ah yes, and then the door tag would be the correct month for the actual production.

70_440-6Cuda

Love that color!!  Nice looking car
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

cuda hunter

Sure is a great looking car!   Did you get this car yet?  @lstinker

lstinker

Yep sure did 21K documented miles numbers matching engine and 4 speed trans plus added 6pac it is sitting in my shop now