Main Menu

HELP! vehicle order number on fender tag does not VON on match build sheet

Started by plum crazy rt, May 23, 2019, 05:10:07 AM

Previous topic Next topic

plum crazy rt

:please:

I am looking to purchase a 1970 cuda 6 pack. I noticed that the fender tag vehicle order number does not match the vehicle order number on the build sheet, it is of one digit. I would assume the fender tag is incorrect or possibly fake? The owner only has a photo copy of the build sheet, not the original.

The vehicle order number listed on the fender tag is                             066361
The vehicle order number listed on the (copy) of the broadcast sheet is  086361

I googled the vin number and found some controversy on a online forum regarding this fender tag possibly being a reproduction?

the vin number is bs23vob159582

I attached pictures of both the fender tag and broad cast sheet copy

The broadcast sheet appears to match the options on the fender tag as well as on the car with the exception of the VON

The owner adamantly states that the fender tag is original.

I am not an expert, could this be a mistake done at the factory or evidence that the fender tag is indeed fake? If the tag is fake then the rest of the car is in question?

Is there a way to verify the  build date listed on the broadcast sheet - A13 (October 13th) is correct for this car?

Any help would be much appreciated.

anlauto

I'm no expert either, but I would say if everything else on the tag matches up with the BCS then the "6" instead of the "8" is a very plausible factory mistake in my opinion.
HOWEVER the tag does look too new to be original (not saying that's the case) but it could be a mistake made by the person who made the tag.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

plum crazy rt

thank you for the reply, I posted a better picture of the broad cast sheet.

blown motor

To me the yellow on the tag doesn't look to be the same shade as the yellow on the fender. I would be suspicious.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

plum crazy rt

The fender tag was supposedly removed during the restoration and painted some time after the restoration was complete.

WCC

Quote from: plum crazy rt on May 23, 2019, 05:45:23 AM
The fender tag was supposedly removed during the restoration and painted some time after the restoration was complete.

Best thing to do is assume the fender tag is not original and price the car accordingly.

dodj

Quote from: WCC on May 23, 2019, 06:09:46 AM
Quote from: plum crazy rt on May 23, 2019, 05:45:23 AM

Best thing to do is assume the fender tag is not original and price the car accordingly.
:iagree:
Without conclusive evidence, It is an undocumented car. I would pay a price that took this into account.  :alan2cents:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

plum crazy rt

Would the (photo copy) of the build sheet be considered conclusive evidence?

RUNCHARGER

Check the build sheet over extra careful. If the broadcast is legit it trumps the (they make them every day) fender tag.
Sheldon

plum crazy rt

I was thinking the same thing. I wish the build sheet was an original however, not a copy. I have checked it over the best I can. From what I can tell the options match the car and the fender tag with the exception of the VON, however I am far from an expert in this area.

Cudamike

I would assume the seller has the build sheet. At some point you are going to look at the car. You can see the original build sheet and take a picture.   

JS29

Correct me if i am wrong, but didn't they put on one screw bend the tag up and paint under the tag. leaving a fold or bend on the fender tag. then afterwords install an unpainted screw to secure it down. I don't see a bend on that tag!   :alan2cents: 

Cuda Cody

I would suggest having someone that knows these cars really well look that car over good.  Typos happen and it's not uncommon to see mistakes, but somethings look to not add up.  It might be a good car, but it also might be a car that has been messed with.  If you get a color copy of the sheet send it to @6bblgt   Also can you get better photos of the fender tag?  Photos at an angle from the back like this...

https://forum.e-bodies.org/vin-fender-tag-build-sheet-and-date-codes/13/can-you-pick-the-real-fender-tag/42/

Cuda Cody

Where's the car right now?  Why does the seller not have the original build sheet?

cuda hunter

Quote from: JS29 on May 23, 2019, 07:52:23 AM
Correct me if i am wrong, but didn't they put on one screw bend the tag up and paint under the tag. leaving a fold or bend on the fender tag. then afterwords install an unpainted screw to secure it down. I don't see a bend on that tag!   :alan2cents:

That was my first question. 
However if the tag was restored then the screws wouldn't match original any more.  But the bend.  Not all cars got a bent fender tag. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee