Main Menu

Is this an OE fender tag??

Started by autoxcuda, June 03, 2019, 09:10:40 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Rich G.

I still don't see what you guys keep saying is a fake tag. I would think that the only true way to see if the options are correct it to have the broadcast sheet to prove it. Unless it's an extremely rare high dollar car who cares if the tag is real as long as what's on the tag matches what's on car. Sorry that's just me.

RzeroB

Back in the day they stamped out thousands of these tags each day at the plant. The alpha numeric characters were not all used equally, so naturally the more commonly used ones, like "B" at the Hamtramck plant, wore down more quickly than the lesser used ones. As such I've observed on original tags that there is a difference in "crispness" of each character in how they were struck into the tag. This tag looks very uniform across the entire run of codes - it's almost perfect. I'd say it's a reproduction tag, nothing wrong with that as it could be correct, but it could also be "enhanced", just saying ...  :alan2cents:
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

anlauto

Dan will never publicly share the reasons why he can claim it's a "FAKE" tag ... because he doesn't want to aid people in making more correct reproduction tags.
Reasons could be an incorrect VON number corresponding with the date on the tag, or options on the tag that shouldn't be, again sometimes due to the date...some options were listed on the tag before a certain date but not after etc...

Years of extensive research and building a registry have enabled Dan to make these decisions for us and we are very grateful for his knowledge he brings to this site. He's not a dick like other guys....Dan is always willing to help out. :worship: 
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

benlavigne

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on June 03, 2019, 01:15:40 PM
Here's a random tag off the Internet for a 70 Challenger. The S in this one also looks a tad different compared to the J.

That's funny, it's from my previous Challenger!It's a 71, actually. I had them done by Datatags.com from the original broadcast sheet, as you can see, there obviously was a color change...

Ben

anlauto

Quote from: benlavigne on June 03, 2019, 05:00:30 PM
Here's a random tag off the Internet for a 70 Challenger. The S in this one also looks a tad different compared to the J.

That's funny, it's from my previous Challenger!It's a 71, actually. I had them done by Datatags.com from the original broadcast sheet, as you can see, there obviously was a color change...

Ben

I was going to say if it was a "random 70 Challenger tag" then it has a big glaring mistake... :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Rdchallenger

Quote from: anlauto on June 03, 2019, 05:48:01 PM

Ben

I was going to say if it was a "random 70 Challenger tag" then it has a big glaring mistake... :haha:

Not to get off topic on everything. But does that website also remake door jam vin tag stickers?

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Rdchallenger on June 03, 2019, 05:56:01 PM

Ben

Not to get off topic on everything. But does that website also remake door jam vin tag stickers?

No... For door stickers you need either ECS or Performance Car Graphics.. Links below..

http://www.ecsautomotive.com/productsVIN.php

PCG
Email: cargraphix@aol.com

70 Challenger Lover

That's pretty funny about the tag. I googled tags and selected the first clear image I found with an S just as a point of comparison. I assumed the likelihood would be I'd find an authentic tag. I guess the S is an indicator then.

Rdchallenger

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on June 03, 2019, 06:15:00 PM
Quote from: Rdchallenger on June 03, 2019, 05:56:01 PM

Ben

No... For door stickers you need either ECS or Performance Car Graphics.. Links below..

http://www.ecsautomotive.com/productsVIN.php

PCG
Email: cargraphix@aol.com

Awesome, thank you! I'm quite a ways away from that still.

anlauto

ECS all the way for a door VIN decal. :clapping: