Main Menu

Is this an OE fender tag??

Started by autoxcuda, June 03, 2019, 09:10:40 AM

Previous topic Next topic

autoxcuda

Saw this Cuda for sale being talked about on Instagram....

Is this an orignal tag.

@6bblgt
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

js27

Don't Know-but looks awful clean and neat to me.
JS27

JS29

Quote from: js27 on June 03, 2019, 09:13:05 AM
JS27
:iagree: dose the car look to have panel replacement done, for a tag that clean i would expect all original no rusted out body. A build sheet would tell if it's correct.   :alan2cents:

70 Challenger Lover

Looks good to me. When I paint cars or have them painted, I always clean the tag to bare metal and repaint so it looks new again. I see a lot of cars that have been repainted retain the cruddy old paint on the tag for some reason. Maybe to add authenticity?

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: js27 on June 03, 2019, 09:13:05 AM
JS27

I've seen plenty of real tags that are clean & neat so that's not going to rule it out... It also has allot of desirable options so while that can be a flag it doesn't prove anything either...

I see no big flags, someone that tracks what codes were used at what plant at what time frame could possibly disqualify it...

It's unfortunate that these days we need to question so many tags, the guys making fake tags are getting better so fakes are getting harder to detect....

70 Challenger Lover

I don't get too suspicious until I see shaker or rare radio options.

fc7cuda

I'm not a tag expert, but does the "B" and the "S" look kinda odd sized next to each other?  I don't recall this being common on other tags????   :thinking:

anlauto

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on June 03, 2019, 09:41:03 AM

:iagree: This is exactly how I feel as well.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

autoxcuda

Quote from: anlauto on June 03, 2019, 09:45:59 AM
Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on June 03, 2019, 09:41:03 AM

:iagree: This is exactly how I feel as well.

Nowadays you gotta be suspicious of everything. A car needs to build a case for itself.

This car is fully restored, doesn't have a buildsheet or original motor. But claims 75K orignal miles  :huh:

So if it just has a real dash vin and title for a N-code 383 car, the options on the tag shown would be pretty desiresble for a 383 car. But if the pre resto car had these options or not... without a buildsheet a real fender tag changes value dramatically.

The stamping of the characters, spacing and locations have me looking closely.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

6bblgt

it is a reproduction tag with errors   :( FAKE

autoxcuda

Quote from: 6bblgt on June 03, 2019, 12:27:49 PM

I had a strong feeling. Not even with errors, just look of it.

Just shows you have to really examine all these cars nowadays.

Thanks.

70 Challenger Lover

Here's a random tag off the Internet for a 70 Challenger. The S in this one also looks a tad different compared to the J.

autoxcuda

Quote from: 6bblgt on June 03, 2019, 12:27:49 PM

Maybe the real tag is at home

They are asking $75K for this 383 4spd car.

70 Challenger Lover

I think it's legit. For 75k, I'd hope he has more to back it up. The vin will be stamped on the block and trans. That doesn't mean it is a Cuda though as I think you could order a Barracuda with a 335 HP 383 and a four speed but there are not very many of those BH cars so that doesn't seem a likely scenario. Maybe the guy has a build sheet to remove all doubt. Even if he doesn't, if he produced old pictures of a ratty orange Cuda before the build, I'd accept that.

The important thing here is that 1970 E body cars are commanding a premium which helps me get a good price on my RT! I try to find the positive in every situation even if I'm the only one to benefit. Haha

anlauto

Dan's wrong...it says right on the license plate it's "Not a fake"  DUH... :looney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration