Main Menu

Local Hemi Cuda

Started by PLY474, May 27, 2019, 08:01:39 AM

Previous topic Next topic

PLY474

This is probably old news, but I thought I'd pass on this article that was in our local paper a few years back.
1970 Hemi Cuda, BS23ROB100003.
http://www.journalgazette.net/features/20171102/his-million-dollar-cuda

kdcarman

Has the car ever changed hands?

JH27N0B

I remember seeing this car discussed a few times on various boards over the years, but don't remember ever hearing if it sold.  For what he thinks it is worth, my educated guess is that he is still the proud owner!
If I had a couple mil burning a hole in my pocket to spend on a rare E body I'll go buy an E body hemi convertible instead.
Some of the things I see in articles about rare musclecars make my head hurt.
"In '83 nobody wanted these cars. Nobody was researching the cars," Dodane says.
Seriously?  Nobody wanted or was researching these cars?  I don't know if anyone would have given the low VIN more than a passing glance, but there were a lot of people who "wanted" these cars.  Including me!  As a college student with a well paying part time job, I was looking for a hemi cuda or Challenger for a while.  I wasn't successful in my hunt, but the only car I actually got to see personally (and test drive), was in early 1982 when I went to Wisconsin to look at a 70 hemi Challenger for sale.  It was a shaker automatic that ran good, had a bit of rust, a cracked dashpad, and a paint job that wasn't much better than Earl Shiebs quality.  The guy was looking for best offer, and had a list of interested potential buyers lined up to see it.  He had an offer of $4500, and I offered $5000.  He got a better offer because my offer wasn't accepted.
Also, in the SIAC newsletter there were hemi cars listed for sale and the asking prices around then were typically $5000-7500.  So I call BS on that statement!

1 Wild R/T

Agreed, I got my Hemi Challenger for cheap ($400) but it was a roach, plenty of us guys knew the cars were special & wanted them but the better examples were already selling for more than they sold for new....   Hell in 76 I knew of a 4 spd 68 Hemi Charger in EE1 that sold for $4200 which is either close to or more than it sold for new....

RUNCHARGER

Yes: I started looking for a Hemi in 1976 and I was checking engine codes then. Hemis were never cheap and they were hard to find. Maybe in other places they were cheap and plentiful but never within a 1000 or so miles of me.
Sheldon

76orangewagon

Very cool car.... too bad the story called it a "1970 Dodge Hemi Cuda" and it has the standard dash which she (Kimberly Dupps Truesdell) said was called "Rally Dash" and did not include a Tachometer. I hate inaccurate stories like this because people that don't know any better believe the errors and pass them on as facts..I remember going to the Mopar Nationals in the late 80's and people were asking close to $70k for Hemi Cuda's.