Main Menu

Interesting local ‘71 hemi Challenger on eBay.

Started by JH27N0B, March 18, 2022, 07:23:23 AM

Previous topic Next topic

JH27N0B

My car was built in October and has the ashtray console.  Along with the rear seat ashtrays built into the side panels you got with the deluxe interior.
Cracks me up thinking the rear seat had 3 ashtrays but was too small for most adults to sit back there.  So back in 71 if you had 3 friends who were dwarfs and smoked, or 3 chainsmoking toddlers to drive around, you were all set! 8)

RzeroB

Quote from: JH27N0B on March 18, 2022, 08:06:46 AM
I was digging around and see that I took a bunch of pictures of it in 2008.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/111914442@N04/albums/72157644026935149
That car sure has deteriorated in 14 years.  :(
The tag sure looked "nice" back then, my amateur eyes are suspicious.
The engine/trans numbers don't seem to be identical font and layout.
What do our experts like Dan @6bblgt think of it? Does Rzero have it in his database?

Hi Brad,

You took some nice pics of it back then. I saw it once, around the same time frame, or slightly thereafter, when it was present at one of the Monster Mopar shows they use to have here in St Louis. I remember thinking of it as being a really nice "survivor" and not a "trailer-queen" when I saw it. I don't recall seeing or meeting the owner when it was here.

As you suggested, I think something must of happened to the owner since then. The car, or cars as you say he had a couple of them, must of been sitting somewhere other than dry storage while the owner's life played out resulting in them now being offered up for sale. Was a very nice car ... and can be again ... but now it needs some work ($$$$$$).
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

YYZ

It seems to have the right hallmarks of an early production '71. Lots of '70 sheet metal including the inner fenders, trunk pan etc.

Also '70 pieces such as the console and 956 instead of 959 rad

Passenger front fender has been changed, as well as the hood (and obviously the bumper)

Are there any pics of the body stampings?  In theory, it's possible that the factory forgot the torque boxes as that wouldn't be as obvious as other defects.

As for the rust, maybe a flood, but definitely sitting in a damp environment.  Put an E-body in a dirt floor shed or outbuilding for several years and it too will develop that awful, flaky rust on the bottom and will bubble up elsewhere.

JH27N0B

A collector called me yesterday asking me about the car.  He'd called the vintage car dealer about it and they said the owner had a heart attack years back and later a stroke.  :(
Therefore I think it's safe to say it's been sitting in a garage or building in the area for a decade.  We've had a couple "100 year" rainstorms during that time so the building it was in may have got flooded during the decade but no saltwater here in northern Illinois!
I was hoping someone with expertise could give their opinion of the block and trans numbers? They look suspicious to me.  Tag also, though I'm not seeing anything fishy sometimes experts see problems.
Sad about the owner and the car. The years since I last saw them have been very rough.  :crying:

716bbl

This car may have issues, but worth it to someone that can pony up.
Way rarer than 71 Hemi Cuda, although they command dollars.
Almost ALL 4 speed cars have been hit in the front right corner.
These cars were not usually driven to church on Sunday.
3rd gear usually always gets a pole or something stationery.

70vert

So yes it is in sad shape, definitely needs a full restoration, and maybe the engine & trans are not numbers matching, but if it is truly a 71 Hemi 4-speed car it is super rare!! Are you guys thinking the VIN is bogus? The fender tag is there, visible in one of the pics but not a good close-up to assess. I hope it does get picked up, validated, and restored by someone.

JH27N0B

The VIN and likely the fender tags seem legit.  The engine/ trans numbers have been called bad restamps by knowledgeable people.  There have been some questions raised about the body, as some say they didn't see torque boxes by the rear spring mounts which should be there.
That roof is scary, count on replacing that. Along with a lot of other body work.
If body is validated ok, non matching driveline, unpopular color, what is it worth restored?  Maybe 200K?