Main Menu

Interesting local ‘71 hemi Challenger on eBay.

Started by JH27N0B, March 18, 2022, 07:23:23 AM

Previous topic Next topic

JH27N0B

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284708382449?hash=item4249f126f1:g:Y60AAOSwMMJiMzqY
I used to know the owner of this car and have wondered where both him and the car disappeared to.
It's been a long long time.  If memory serves he got it in the 2002-2005 timeframe.  I'd see him at shows in the far north suburbs, and he had several other cool cars like a hemi GTX either a 68 or 69, I don't recall which it's been so long, and a survivor 71 Superbee.
I think his name was Jim, but not even sure on that as I haven't seen him in at least 10 years.
The car looks like it's been sitting in a damp garage for at least 10 years.  :crying:
I remember talking to him about some suspicions he had about his car.  Looking at the pictures the engine and trans numbers don't look to be same stamping to maybe restamped?
Maybe a tagologist can give an opinion on the fender tags.
Really close match to my 71 V code.

headejm

The condition of that car makes me sad. It needs a good home and a total restoration. Rust is starting to take over. What does everyone think about the price as-is?

RUNCHARGER

Dang: I'd like to check that one over. I think it's great he's selling it right now before it gets any worse under his care. That could be a great deal if you could just refinish everything but it may need surgery. I could see it selling within a day or two.
Sheldon

JH27N0B

I was digging around and see that I took a bunch of pictures of it in 2008.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/111914442@N04/albums/72157644026935149
That car sure has deteriorated in 14 years.  :(
The tag sure looked "nice" back then, my amateur eyes are suspicious.
The engine/trans numbers don't seem to be identical font and layout.
What do our experts like Dan @6bblgt think of it? Does Rzero have it in his database?

Filthy Filbert

Pictures look like he just wiped the entire car down with WD40

71vert340

I was thinking the same thing about the rust. The rust bubbling under the vinyl top and in the holes in top cowl to the left of the voltage regulator in photo signals other problems . Definitely a nice car needing a total restoration. I would say not numbers matching if there's a stamping question and price accordingly and make an offer if I was in the market. I hope it works out well forwhoever buys it.
Terry W.

JH27N0B

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on March 18, 2022, 08:03:49 AM
Dang: I'd like to check that one over. I think it's great he's selling it right now before it gets any worse under his care. That could be a great deal if you could just refinish everything but it may need surgery. I could see it selling within a day or two.
I mentioned I used to see the owner regularly at local events and haven't seen him probably 10 years at the least.  He was a rough looking character, I don't mean to talk bad of him he was a nice guy I looked forward to seeing and talking to, just he didn't seem like a guy who lived healthy.  I doubt he's still around.  I wonder if he got sick, eventually passed, and his estate just recently got settled and they're selling his stuff after sitting semi forgotten for many years?

RUNCHARGER

Wow: It looked great in 2008. It's not too late it can look great again. Might have missed the market by a month, we'll find out pretty quick, I think everything is heading into a tailspin right now.
Sheldon

challengersteve

I saw that car on eBay and the first thing that came to mind is that it had been flooded in salt water. It sure looks like a flood car with all the deep rust in high up places and surface rust basically everywhere. Also, most certainly a restamped block. Super sad but this car needs absolutely everything

JH27N0B

The only saltwater within 600 miles of this area splashes off the roads in wintertime.  :dunno:
The car has been in the area for a minimum of 15 years.
I would suspect it was parked in a garage or building with a leaky roof and might have gotten flooded at some point to boot. Definitely sat in a very damp atmosphere for awhile.

RacerX

Quote from: 71vert340 on March 18, 2022, 08:10:36 AM
I was thinking the same thing about the rust. The rust bubbling under the vinyl top and in the holes in top cowl to the left of the voltage regulator in photo signals other problems . Definitely a nice car needing a total restoration. I would say not numbers matching if there's a stamping question and price accordingly and make an offer if I was in the market. I hope it works out well forwhoever buys it.
Terry W.

My impression is not numbers matching either...    Certainly the block should not be an August 1969 casting for a late September 1970 built 71 model car?

The rust and decay is quite disturbing.    This car didn't just sit idle for a decade, something bad happened to it.   Even if the previous restoration
was not very good, this does not appear to be the result of just sitting around.   Salt water flood definitely looks within the realm of possibility.

This car needs a full ground level restoration to get ahead of the decay.   Anything else is a waste of money and time for whoever buys it.

JH27N0B

I thought I'd heard '71 car hemi blocks were dated all over the place.
1971 was an interesting year, they were using up a lot of parts that had been sitting around for awhile, and a number of changes made over the model year run.
My V code 71 is optioned closely to this one.  Mine has the same "cuda" leather seats.  They used those seats in Challengers into December per some who've researched the subject.
So at least that part is right, experts would need to inspect this car to see what, if anything else, is correct about it.
I remember when I was a kid my grandparents garaged Buick got rust in some strange places as opposed to the usual doglegs and lower quarters.  My dad said their garage was leaky and the moisture in the garage from that is what caused that rust. I suspect that is the case with this car too.
Lake Michigan is a fresh water lake and hurricanes don't come anywhere near here with saltwater spray and flooding I can assure you!

Skdmark

Anyone notice the hood not being correct for a 71 and the hood is missing the belt molding?
Also missing the blackout tape treatment on bezels and hood as well as the trunk and quarter moldings.
Front bumper has later jack slots.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

JH27N0B

Skdmark

Quote from: JH27N0B on March 18, 2022, 01:44:06 PM
'70 console also

Console might be legit. Early build 71's have been known to have them (frequently seen in August builds).
The trunk pan has the on top cross member access plugs vs. the later side mount. Earlier build 71's have these too.

Looks like an older poorly executed restoration combined with damp storage.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane: