Main Menu

New fender tags by AG Backeast, very happy!

Started by benlavigne, July 09, 2017, 01:20:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Quote from: Voodoo Child on July 10, 2017, 05:41:13 PM
So what is stopping people from building and optioning any car they want? Aside from the vin number!

Absolutely nothing  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Voodoo Child

Quote from: anlauto on July 10, 2017, 07:18:08 PM
So what is stopping people from building and optioning any car they want? Aside from the vin number!

Absolutely nothing  :alan2cents:
So fender tags mean absolutely nothing aside from R/T, non R/T, Cuda, or Barracuda, engine size and vin#. And here I am telling all my GM buddy's how hard Mopar's are to fake. Silly me! :verymad:

Cuda Cody

The VON numbers go to certain dealerships so some people do know a lot of those VON and would be able to tell  Since VON's only belong to certain cars it's not as easy as guessing.  But 99% of the people will not be able to tell if you did guess on the VON.  Then it comes down to code options and availability with dates.  Some codes and options were only available at specific times.  And lots of codes that were on a build sheet are not on a tag.  So if someone wanted to guess, they would need to know a lot about fender tags to even get close.  Most experts can spot a tag that has been guessed.

anlauto

You can make a fender tag say whatever you want, doesn't mean people are going to believe it. That's why documentation is so important. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

benlavigne

Datatags (AG Backeast) and MMC will ask for documentation before doing a repro tag. Not sure about others, but I've found it's not very hard to find someone that will do a convincing fake tag...
I think some will do a non-original tag, but will add a ''note'' at the top to denote it's not ''verified'' or true to the car's original specs.

Ben

303 Mopar

Quote from: anlauto on July 11, 2017, 03:55:39 AM
You can make a fender tag say whatever you want, doesn't mean people are going to believe it. That's why documentation is so important. :alan2cents:

I thought it would be fun to make up a tag for my Cuda with a code for the 392 Hemi, 18" wheels, etc.  I can't find anyone that will make a tag though without documentation.   :Thud:

303 Mopar

Cuda Cody

CudaMoparRay

Quote from: Cuda Cody on July 10, 2017, 12:43:32 PM
Maybe ask Brett at AG Backeast and see if he has any thoughts on the C52.  I don't have a lot of experience with 71 tags yet.

Brett wrote, in part, after some further investigating whether or not a C52 bench seat code should be on fender tag or not based on his research:

"With those pictures, combined with my gut instinct, and the advice of the e-bodies web forum, I believe it's safe to say C52 should NOT go on a '71 Hamtramck tag."

So, should be getting my fender tag soon and will take a pic of it for you guys to see.

jamesroney

Quote from: benlavigne on July 09, 2017, 01:20:51 PM
I know there are two camps on the issue of reproduced fender tags, I for one do not mind them if they match a damaged or stored one or a build sheet.
When I bought my Challenger, the kicker was that even though the fender tag was missing, there was a very good build sheet from which I could get the info for a new tag. It was a given from the start that the tag would reflect the original equipment, even though there were some changes at restoration... Color being the obvious one, along with vinyl top.
I did some research through this great forum (Thanks Cody and 6bblgt!), and was surprised that I actually had a two-tag car! I also looked at dozens of tags, original and repro, to see what looked right and not, and asked AG Backeast for a quote and sample, which looked spot-on to my eyes. After reviewing the codes, placement, etc... it was confirmed that ther would be a second tag, and they were produced and shipped within 48 hours, at a very fair price! I am not saying all work goes as quick, maybe the timing was just right, but I feel that was exceptional service, with superb communication... I have a friend who waited for months on another ''Tag Services'' supplier...
A big thumbs-up to Brett at AG Backeast, a.k.a. datatags.com, even though the website does not show Mopar tags, he does know his fender tags!

Ben

Hi, I am curious about your data tags.  I don't know a lot about the 71's.   I thought that the standard cooling package for the N-code 383 was the 22 inch radiator.  Did they change that in 1971?  You don't list an axle package, or tow package, or Air conditioning...so I am wondering how you ended up with a 26 inch radiator? 

Thanks,
James.
BS23N0E

benlavigne

Quote from: jamesroney on July 12, 2017, 11:00:19 AM
Quote from: benlavigne on July 09, 2017, 01:20:51 PM
I know there are two camps on the issue of reproduced fender tags, I for one do not mind them if they match a damaged or stored one or a build sheet.
When I bought my Challenger, the kicker was that even though the fender tag was missing, there was a very good build sheet from which I could get the info for a new tag. It was a given from the start that the tag would reflect the original equipment, even though there were some changes at restoration... Color being the obvious one, along with vinyl top.
I did some research through this great forum (Thanks Cody and 6bblgt!), and was surprised that I actually had a two-tag car! I also looked at dozens of tags, original and repro, to see what looked right and not, and asked AG Backeast for a quote and sample, which looked spot-on to my eyes. After reviewing the codes, placement, etc... it was confirmed that ther would be a second tag, and they were produced and shipped within 48 hours, at a very fair price! I am not saying all work goes as quick, maybe the timing was just right, but I feel that was exceptional service, with superb communication... I have a friend who waited for months on another ''Tag Services'' supplier...
A big thumbs-up to Brett at AG Backeast, a.k.a. datatags.com, even though the website does not show Mopar tags, he does know his fender tags!

Ben

Hi, I am curious about your data tags.  I don't know a lot about the 71's.   I thought that the standard cooling package for the N-code 383 was the 22 inch radiator.  Did they change that in 1971?  You don't list an axle package, or tow package, or Air conditioning...so I am wondering how you ended up with a 26 inch radiator? 

Thanks,
James.

You know you are the first one to catch that...  :rolleyes:
That 26 is so often seen on tags for Hi-Po cars that I did not even realize I did have a 22'' rad...
Time for new ones.... :crying:
At least I will not loose my two-tags status symbol...

Ben

Cuda Cody

Well the good news is you would only need the 2nd tag reproduced to correct it.  Have you confirmed on your sheet that's it's a 26 or 22 inch?  Good catch @jamesroney  and thank you for helping.  Together we can figure almost anything out.  It's not about rewriting history, it's about doing our best to discover the the history.

6bblgt

Cuda Cody

@benlavigne   :sorry: sorry if I did not catch that.   :foul:  I would be happy to cover the cost of a new tag. :drinkingbud:

benlavigne

Quote from: Cuda Cody on July 12, 2017, 03:26:24 PM
@benlavigne   :sorry: sorry if I did not catch that.   :foul:  I would be happy to cover the cost of a new tag. :drinkingbud:

No problem, Cody, you are not the only one who did not catch it...
You are right, though I only need the second one!
I'll write to Brett, I am sure he'll do me right...
See you yhis weekend, leaving tomorrow morning!

Ben