Main Menu

Trunk lid ink stamp?

Started by Cuda Cody, January 26, 2017, 06:41:20 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

Has anyone seen an E-Body with a trunk inspection stamp?  This is the first one I've seen.  I didn't think they stamped the ink stamp on the trunks on E-Bodies.  I don't know what year car the trunk lid came off, but I know it was inside stored for over 35 years and it's all original paint.

Anyone ever seen another trunk lid with an ink stamp?

71GranCoupe

screamindriver

I've seen them but I'm not sure just what the inspector was looking for with that stamp being applied...I had pics of examples for Ebodys but can't locate the file yet...sylvan sells a stamp for the trunk lid on ebay..  http://www.ebay.com/itm/PD-TRUNK-LID-INSPECTION-STAMP-CUDA-CHALLENGER-CHARGER-AAR-T-A-GTX-CORONET-MOPAR-/311621104926?vxp=mtr&hash=item488e10b51e

anlauto

I've seen them a lot on Dusters/Demons but never an E Body.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

headejm

Assuming the trunk lid has the original paint, I'm curious what happened to the jack instruction decal? Didn't all car get one of those?

screamindriver

screamindriver

Another original paint example...71 cuda...

Cuda Cody

If you look closely in the last photo it was removed.  It's hard to see, but it was on there.   :ohyeah:

Quote from: headejm on January 26, 2017, 07:19:13 PM
Assuming the trunk lid has the original paint, I'm curious what happened to the jack instruction decal? Didn't all car get one of those?

challenger6pak

Many of the instruction decals simply fell off when they got older. I have seen the stamps on Hamtramck cars. I do not remember seeing them on an L A car.

cataclysm80

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 26, 2017, 06:41:20 PM
I don't know what year car the trunk lid came off, but I know it was inside stored for over 35 years and it's all original paint.

That is a Challenger trunk lid, and that style of Challenger trunk lid was used from the beginning of T/A production around March of 1970, all the way through 1971 production, and the last ones were used up on the 1972 cars built in August of 1971.

Cuda Cody

:yes:  That's exactly why I bought it!!!    :D 

Dang, @cataclysm80  you REALLY know your E-Bodies!!!!   :clapping: 

Quote from: cataclysm80 on January 28, 2017, 03:35:00 PM
Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 26, 2017, 06:41:20 PM
I don't know what year car the trunk lid came off, but I know it was inside stored for over 35 years and it's all original paint.

That is a Challenger trunk lid, and that style of Challenger trunk lid was used from the beginning of T/A production around March of 1970, all the way through 1971 production, and the last ones were used up on the 1972 cars built in August of 1971.

Burdar

My original 73 trunk lid has a stamp.  It's hard to read and I haven't looked at it recently.  IIRC there is a large Q with ND under it.  It's a dark burnt orange color ink.

DetMatt

If that's original paint I'm thinking it's Butterscotch so that can only mean the lid is from '71.

Cuda Cody

Good catch.   I think you might be right.

Quote from: DetMatt on January 30, 2017, 01:08:13 PM
If that's original paint I'm thinking it's Butterscotch so that can only mean the lid is from '71.

6bblgt

my mid-July '70 built HAMTRAMCK R/T has this "QUALITY 2 ASSURANCE" stamp in ORANGE on FF4 almost twice