Main Menu

1970 Challenger R/T "survivor" 383 4spd

Started by JustinHEMI, April 21, 2017, 05:08:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

JustinHEMI

OK folks, one more, if you don't mind. I promise I'm not going to post a different car every other day, I'm about to get real busy at work any. :)

This one is minutes from my work. Here's the ad that I found;

http://www.cars-on-line.com/gen3-cars/col1/posting/88672

In which he says;

"Dodge Challenger R/T. Hemi orange original paint survivor. 383 hp 335 horsepower, 4 speed, 355 posi, ps,pdb, numbers matching motor, transmission. Rust free California car, all original sheet metal, original black vinyl top, black interior, AM-FM stereo, rim blow wheel, hemi suspension and cooling. JS23NOEXXXXXX. Motor and trans have been rebuilt 15 years ago with less than 5000 miles since. Odometer shows 109000 believed to be original. Car runs excellent and is very fast, needs nothing. More pictures available upon request

Price $ 50,000 Make offer"

I've poured over the pictures, and I'm going to see it tomorrow after work. This is the "driver quality" that I mentioned in my welcome thread that I've been looking for. He said it runs great, and we're going to go on a ride tomorrow. I'm going to take the numbers guide with me. There are some issues, as you can see in the photos, but it's a 48 year old original car..., so that's A-OK with me. I figure that I can drive this for quite a while and then decide if I want to restore it. He did say that the factory tach doesn't work, which is why you'll see the aftermarket tach on the dash.

He also does not have a build sheet but said that it came from the one cali factory that didn't really do build sheets.

My only real questions are;

1) Any tips on what I should look for when I see it tomorrow?
2) If I decide this is "the one," what do you think is a fair offer? I was thinking of asking him to take 35K and go from there, but if you think that's out of line, please let me know.

Here's the fender tag breakdown;

E63   383-4 Barrel
D21   Heavy Duty 4-Speed Manual Transmission
JS23   
J = Dodge Challenger
S = Special
23 = 2 Door Hardtop

N0E   
N = 383 330HP OR 335HP 1-4BBL 8 CYL
0 = 1970
E = Los Angeles, CA, USA
133305   Sequence Number '133305'
EV2   
Paint Code: Hemi Orange / Tor-Red Irid
H6X9   
Trim Grade/Style/Color
H = High
6 = Vinyl Bucket Seats
X9 = Black
000   Upper Door Frame: Full Door Panel
219   Date Built: 2 / 19 / 1970
161527   Order Number: 161527
V1X   Roof Type OR Color:  Full Vinyl Top - Black
A31   3.91:High Performance Axle Package
A62   Rallye Instrument Cluster
B51   Power Assisted Brakes
C16   Console w/ Buckets
C55   Bucket Seats
G36   Left Hand Remote, Right Hand Manual Outside Mirror
J25   3 Speed Variable Wipers
J45   Hood Tie Down Pins
J54   Sport Hood 70-1
M21   Roof Drip Rail Moldings
M25   Wide Sill Molding
N41   Duel Exhaust w/o Tips
N42   Chrome Duel Exhaust Tips
N85   Tachometer
N95   Nox Exhaust Emission Control
R35   AM / FM Multiplex Stereo
V1X   Full Vinyl Top - Black
V21   Performance Hood Treatment
V6X   Black Longitude Sports Stripe
26   26 in. Radiator

Here's some pictures, there's a lot so I'm posting thumbnails which you can enlarge;

Chryco Psycho

I doubt he will drop 30% from asking price & you might just piss him off , you may do better starting around 39K :alan2cents:

JustinHEMI

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 21, 2017, 05:23:17 PM
I doubt he will drop 30% from asking price & you might just piss him off , you may do better starting around 39K :alan2cents:

Thank you!

Justin

cuda dad

It looks like a pretty solid car.  If it checks out and is original condition, they don't come up very often.  If it was mine I would not take less than the asking price.  But that's just me.

JustinHEMI

Quote from: cuda dad on April 21, 2017, 05:34:13 PM
It looks like a pretty solid car.  If it checks out and is original condition, they don't come up very often.  If it was mine I would not take less than the asking price.  But that's just me.

Indeed, but he does say "make off". :D

JustinHEMI

I just asked him about the ad saying 3.55 rear end but fender tag says 3.91, original owner had em swapped for 3.55 including speedo gear.

71GranCoupe

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 21, 2017, 05:23:17 PM

:iagree:

At 35k, that would be a bargain. I doubt he will take anything less than 45k, unless he has to move it right away. If mine, and if it looks as good in person as the pictures show, I would probably hold out for anything above 47500 k.. I am sure you will get all kinds of opinions, but yours is the only one that counts.

Places I would look for issues, and I know I missed many. The area where the hood bolts to the fender wells is an issue, but not major. Look for the slightest bubbling on the rockers and the lower fenders and the quarters. Check the dutchman for wide seams and rust formations. Check the vinyl roof for any raised areas, as this can hide rust. Frame rails: make sure they are solid and no stress bends jump out, hiding possible collisions. Take a small mirror to look way back on the quarters and any hard to see areas.

This looks like a very good car to pick up and drive. Any restoration would put this so upside down, it would hurt. Car is too nice to restore and just needs to be enjoyed and driven.  :alan2cents:

You will have to let us know how it turns out.  :cheers:

anlauto

I think it's a mid-$40's car :alan2cents: anything less is a bargain  :fingerscrossed:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JustinHEMI

anlauto

It's for sure had the trunk floor painted. I would look for any type of patch work...back it the day people would use thin layer of fiberglass resin to fill pin holes in the trunk which almost every E body has  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

71GranCoupe

Quote from: anlauto on April 21, 2017, 06:07:12 PM
It's for sure had the trunk floor painted. I would look for any time of patch work...back it the day people would use thin layer of fiberglass resin to fill [in hole in the trunk which almost everybody has  :alan2cents:

Good advice for sure on the trunk. :perfect10: It is obvious it has been repainted as the wire connectors are now orange and the harness has orange overspray on it. The wire harness is original and they can be remanned, but very expensive. They were 70 only from what I have seen/heard.

As serious as you appear, you should ask the owner to take out the spare and trunk mat and look it over very close. He is asking top dollar and for you to  :takemymoney: for it, you need to be 100% sure it is worth the price.

You know, we will be expecting a full report on how this one goes.  :banana:

Challenger in NC

RUNCHARGER

I think I am with everyone else. It's a nice car, $45k is probably the right price, less is better, more might be okay. It has been for sale at that price for almost a year I believe. Survivors are hard to find, really hard to find with the right options.
Sheldon

fc7cuda

Quote from: 71GranCoupe on April 21, 2017, 06:22:26 PM
Quote from: anlauto on April 21, 2017, 06:07:12 PM
It's for sure had the trunk floor painted. I would look for any time of patch work...back it the day people would use thin layer of fiberglass resin to fill [in hole in the trunk which almost everybody has  :alan2cents:

Good advice for sure on the trunk. :perfect10: It is obvious it has been repainted as the wire connectors are now orange and the harness has orange overspray on it.

It is a really nice looking car, but the lack of door dings for 110,000 miles is unusual.  I'm not a painter, but it almost looks too good for survivor paint?  A big red flag should be "where's the V21"?  :alan2cents:

Good luck on it but I'd be 35-40K if the motor/trans check out.  Ask for the receipts when they were rebuilt.

erik70rt

I would take 40-45K for that one.  I wouldn't go any lower.  I agree that offering 35K is too low, and I would most likely tell the buyer to pound salt and feel it was a waste of my time.
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.