Main Menu

‘68 Custom Barracuda

Started by 303 Mopar, March 07, 2018, 01:08:39 PM

Previous topic Next topic

303 Mopar

I'm not well versed on the value of '68 Barracuda's so I was looking for your opinion. Also, anyone new Dallas that can go look at this for me?

1968 barracuda fastback built 3 years ago. Petty blue purple pearl, fiberglass hood scoop, custom Boyd wheels 20x12 19x8 Michelin super sport tires, 408 stroker engine with Eagle crank Eagle rods Diamond pistons, Indy heads cnc, Indy rockers, air gap intake,  Holley carb, 904 trans with BM shifter, tubular k-member, front coilovers drop spindles, RMS street lynx rear coilovers, Wilwood discs on all 4 corners, custom interior, Kenwood stereo unit and speakers, custom alum dash panel with Autometer gauges, Derale fan.

6bblgt

:dunno:
does the suspension have any travel - looks in the same position on-the-ground VS. in-the-air ???

303 Mopar

Quote from: 6bblgt on March 07, 2018, 01:43:12 PM
does the suspension have any travel - looks in the same position on-the-ground VS. in-the-air ???

I think with the 4-way adjustable coilovers you can pick how much travel you want.

erik70rt

The a-body Barracudas are not really popular. You need to find the right buyer so they don't particularly bring big $$ when you go to sell them.  Ask me how I know.  LOL  I listed my fully restored/slightly modified '68 convertible for months.  Started at 45K which I knew was high, and brought it down to 34.  Only offers I had were for 20 and 25.  I would not spend more than 25-30 on the one you are asking about in this post. 
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

RzeroB

I like it.  :ohyeah: 

408 stroker, tubular front-end, coil-over rear, four-wheel discs ... that's a good looking resto-mod!  :yes:

I don't really like the wheels, but those can be easily unbolted and replaced.  :thumbdown:

I love that engine compartment - look how uncluttered and clean that engine bay looks!  :bigthumb:

These '67-'69 Barracudas are going up too - not as steeply as the E's - but up nonetheless. Look around and you will see restored P-codes (340's) in the upper 30's to low 40's now ...
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

RzeroB

Quote from: erik70rt on March 07, 2018, 03:19:31 PM
The a-body Barracudas are not really popular. You need to find the right buyer so they don't particularly bring big $$ when you go to sell them.  Ask me how I know.  LOL  I listed my fully restored/slightly modified '68 convertible for months.  Started at 45K which I knew was high, and brought it down to 34.  Only offers I had were for 20 and 25.  I would not spend more than 25-30 on the one you are asking about in this post.

:thinking:  Is your's the Omaha-Orange and black 'vert on Cars-On-Line??  If it is, that's a really nice looking ride!!  :yes:
Surprised you are having a hard time finding a buyer??
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

cuda hunter

This blue one has been for sale for a while.  I didn't track how much he's asked each time I have seen it up for sale. 

Nice looking car though.  Love that engine bay.

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

RUNCHARGER

Neat car, limited interest it seems. So purchase price has to be a fraction of what was spent. Sorry for the wishy washy answer but really a grey value on that car.
Sheldon

Brads70

Exhaust is new never been fired/run or it's pretty lean. Looks like a 9" Ford rear end? Weird with all the " bling" it has a rusty old trans pan? I dig the colour!  :clapping: Whats the interior like? 

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: 303 Mopar on March 07, 2018, 02:28:26 PM
Quote from: 6bblgt on March 07, 2018, 01:43:12 PM

I think with the 4-way adjustable coilovers you can pick how much travel you want.

I don't think that's the case, overall extended and compressed lengths of a coilover are not adjustable. High speed (1) compression/ (2) rebound and low-speed (3) compression/ (4) rebound are the typical (4-way) dampening adjustments. Coil spring rate and coil spring preload are used to adjust ride height and spring rate.

I've not seen a proper street car suspension "droop" little before when unloaded. I would expect the coilover to be very short overall and have little bump and droop travel when at that ride height. Which takes away quite a bit of the flexibility of a coilover, it would drive very high dampening to keep the shock from bottoming out and over-extending on every bump in the road.  :thinking:

The engine bay picture may still be in progress? The field connection on the alternator looks open, no typical location for a coolant temp sensor, choke isn't wired, etc.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

303 Mopar

Thanks guys for all your input.  The pic of the exhaust is when it was installed. It has a narrowed 9" Ford rear. The interior is all finished with custom black covers. The current owner is 6'4" and he said he has plenty of room, the seats are corvette type. I'm not sure what's up with the rust trans cover.

@GoodysGotaCuda - so are you saying the coil over suspension will ride very stiff?

Two videos to add. First was when it was for sale in '15, only a few months after it was built which makes me suspicious but the owner said he really wanted a Hemi Belvedere. The interior and rear tail panel were not finished.  The second is a current video, and you can see the owner has his Belvedere and is selling the '68 to buy a Hemi.

Chryco Psycho

Hmmm Why ?
RMS front suspension with headers hanging way low , spring rates can be changed to suit stiffness but travel is minimal .
Should have a gen 3 Hemi
I would pass

303 Mopar

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: 303 Mopar on March 08, 2018, 04:42:52 AM

@GoodysGotaCuda - so are you saying the coil over suspension will ride very stiff?

I would be surprised if it wasn't a very harsh ride. "Coil overs" do not always equal "better", in many, many instances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

erik70rt

Quote from: RzeroB on March 07, 2018, 04:52:43 PM
Quote from: erik70rt on March 07, 2018, 03:19:31 PM

:thinking:  Is your's the Omaha-Orange and black 'vert on Cars-On-Line??  If it is, that's a really nice looking ride!!  :yes:
Surprised you are having a hard time finding a buyer??

Yes - that's mine.  I haven't had one inquiry from that ad.  They are a tough sell unless you want to give it away.
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.