Main Menu

70 383 engine

Started by Lilian, July 28, 2017, 12:15:19 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Lilian

I am still thinking of swapping my 440 for a period correct 383 HP engine.

what an engine like this would cost in the US, assuming it would be a complete running engine ready tu be put in my cuda.

thanks for your help

L

1971Y13

I'm looking for a 383 myself to replace my numbers #, I have found several take outs stock engines in the range $500 to $1500, restored ones up to $$$$$, all of them has either been "pick up only" or located on the other side of the US so shipping has killed the deal, hope to find something when we are in FL at the Don Garlite Show now in November.
1971 'Cuda
1968 GTX

Lilian

that is what I find on CG for price range.

69 or 70 engine would be nice.

fc7cuda

Are you looking for just a block to swap over your 440 heads, etc. or a complete 383?

Lilian

right now, I am only looking for informations, as it looks like there are 2 383, HP and non HP

Cuda Cody

383's are fairly easy and affordable to find if you just need a block.  A 340, 383, or 440 all cost about the same to rebuild and it's not cheap to do if you are doing it right.  Depending on what needs to be done I budget about $4k to $7k including engine break-in and tuning on a dyno.  If you have good heads (the 440's and 383's use the same head) you might just want to find a block and have your local engine builder build you one.

I might know where a 383 HP is, but the shipping is always the hard part.

1971Y13

Quote from: fc7cuda on July 28, 2017, 05:16:39 AM
Are you looking for just a block to swap over your 440 heads, etc. or a complete 383?
If not Lilian is intrested I am, but I will not "steal the deal"from him, I will send you a PM.
1971 'Cuda
1968 GTX

fc7cuda

Quote from: 1971Y13 on July 28, 2017, 09:20:37 AM
If not Lilian is intrested I am, but I will not "steal the deal"from him, I will send you a PM.

I appreciate your courtesy!

I have late build 70 383HP short block, but it would need a rebuild at minimum.  I'm in Dallas Texas and have shipped motors before.

Tom

Cuda Cody

:iagree: I have purchased an engine from Tom before and he is a top notch person to deal with.   Would HIGHLY recommend doing business with him if you get the chance.

1971Y13

I'm looking for something that don't need to be bored, will try to find one that just need to be honed new rings and bearings, 383s are plentiful but when you need one they are gone  :notsure:
1971 'Cuda
1968 GTX

Lilian

Quote from: 1971Y13 on July 28, 2017, 09:20:37 AM

Please go ahead, I am broke right now and can not afford to buy anything for the cuda.

Lilian

when I buy engines in the US, I usually buy a pick up truck, put the engine(s) in the bed and ship all home !!

If I am lucky, I sell the truck for a couple grand more and recoup all my money

71GranCoupe

Quote from: 1971Y13 on July 28, 2017, 11:17:44 AM
I'm looking for something that don't need to be bored, will try to find one that just need to be honed new rings and bearings, 383s are plentiful but when you need one they are gone  :notsure:

The key is patience. Take your time, but be persistent in looking. My recommendation is that any motor that is 45 years olds will most likely need a bore. You may even be able to find one where the seller can assist and get it bored and back together for the long ride. Good luck with the hunt.  :cheers:

headejm

:iagree: I just rebuilt my 383 HP with only 42,000 miles on it. I thought I would reuse everything but my machine shop convinced me to grind the crank, bore .030 over, new KB pistons, total head rebuild, new oil pump and pickup. Also, had the block mains lined bored and rods rebuilt with new bolts. Everything balanced too. When using Plastigage during the rebuild, every bearing was dead on perfect. I'm glad I did it this way and I'm pretty sure it is a much better engine than the factory version.  :cheers:

Chryco Psycho

Because I cannot leave anything stock I would stroke it to 436 ci using a kit or cutting a 440 crank & use the long 440 rods , it will look stock but run a lot better !! :lookatthat: