Main Menu

71 Challenger Hemi 4 speed Estate Sale Car

Started by bugnbox, August 27, 2020, 05:17:58 PM

Previous topic Next topic

bugnbox

Hey everybody. Im sure you have probably seen pics of this car floating around on the web as a part of a 5 car collection that just came out of Arizona.  Im helping the heirs of the estate with the car and its been really tough to find comps for the car in its condition and options. 

The estate is basically accepting bids on the car and will decide when it feels right (which will probably be soon)

I would love some insight from folks much more in the know than I am so this man's widow gets what she deserves.

Let me know what info you need and I will be happy to provide.  I have posted some video on YouTube if you search "carchaeology".

Thanks in advance for the help!

Chryco Psycho

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

anlauto

I agree Randy, hard to put a value on a project car like that...I would guess $100K-$125K would be a start...A solid investment still knowing it needs a full restoration... :twothumbsup:  Good luck with your sale, and be sure to let us know what it sells for....

bugnbox

Thanks for posting the links to the videos...I am new to the forum and wasn't sure how to do that.

Im a lifetime car guy, but I will admit openly that I am no Mopar expert by far, but I know a good solid original car when I see one, and this sure seems to be a rare beast.  Guidebook values are no help as they dont seem to match the sort of offers we have gotten so far, and I just have a feeling it may be more valuable than I initially thought.

I saw that there was another 71 Hemi Challenger that was on ebay several years ago, an automatic, low miles and preserved far better than this one, but it still had its issues. I could not find the results of the auction anywhere but at one point it was somewhere around 120k with 6 days left on the auction!

So Ive just got to dig deeper and see what this one is all about.

anlauto

I'm thinking now I might be a little light....I guess you could take the asking price of one fully restored and subtract $75K-$100K to cover the cost of a proper full ground up restoration....that might be more accurate.....

Wouldn't a trip on EBay or even one of the large auction houses, pretty quickly tell you what the current market is willing to pay ?

6bblgt

remarkable car!  :wowzers:  someone will  (OVER)  pay for the privilege of restoring an unmolested car of this caliber that has not been thru prior restoration attempts

I didn't watch all the videos nor read any of the comments, but broadcast sheets are often found behind the bucket seat backs, under the bottom cushions, under the carpet & behind the glove box.

bugnbox

Ive looked for the broadcast sheets and have had no luck, but all the numbers line up and its matching numbers all the way through. Original paint, interior, etc... sun cooked, but there.

Ebay might be the way to go...just let folks battle it out. Ill discuss this with the family and see what they think.

YYZ

As a '71 Challenger fan, I'd concur with the estimates of $100-125K, though with only 59 4-speed '71 Hemi Challengers produced for the US market, the right person might pay a lot more for the right to restore this car.

#s matching engine and trans are a huge plus, as is the relatively rust-free condition (do any hardtop Challengers not rust at the base of the backlite?)

318Stroker

Shoooter

Wow you dont see  cars like this ever. I'm loving all these cool hemis and V codes coming out right now

EV2RTSE

I've been the executor of two estates in the last 5 years, IMHO in addition to having sealed bids go to you (which I think is a great idea) I would also reach out personally to some of the big dogs in the hobby to be sure the word gets out on this car. More than likely with posts on here and elsewhere it already has, but it never hurts to cover as many bases as possible.

Here are a few I would try for openers-

http://www.wellbornmusclecarmuseum.com/

http://www.rogergibsonautorestoration.com/Frank/Frank-Badalson-About-Us/

https://www.mmcdetroit.com/about/About.html

http://galengovier.com/

https://www.cudaclub426.com/

As far as value of the car, is it safe to say it's worth $300-350k fully restored? So deduct 150k for a top-flight Roger Gibson type resto and you might be around 150-200k for the car.

It's a very rare car and looks to be a great starting point, but at a quick glance it also lacks some of the most desirable options like a shaker hood, elastomeric bumpers, and rear window louvers which I think would put the car more towards the top of the heap.

If you haven't already, google '71 Hemi Challenger Mecum' for some more examples that exist.

Best of luck with the sale, what a great collection of cars!

anlauto

CudaMoparRay