Main Menu

E body clock stem pieces (standard gauges)

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, August 16, 2019, 03:40:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

gzig5

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on August 19, 2019, 01:11:19 PM
If a machine shop is fairly modern, they should have a CNC machine that could closely reproduce that knob and it's original texture as well. Worth looking into.

CNC is not needed to get it right.  I could do that knob pretty quickly on my manual machines.  Five minutes or so to profile the blank another 5-10 to drill and tap, and maybe ten minutes to cut the serartions on the indexing head?.  Pretty quick once the setup is done and you'd want to setup some fixtures if doing many of them.  CNC might be faster and a little quicker setup, but there is programming time in the setup and higher burden rate on a CNC machine, depending how they cost it.  10-20 the piece part cost might be too high.  Now if you are doing batches of 100-1000, CNC is the way to go.   I'm not standing in front of my machines for that long.  Making stuff is fun but the same stuff over and over gets monotonous.  That's why some of this stuff costs so much, the CNC machines can crank them out fast but you have hundreds/thousands of dollars in setup costs and fixtures to make the run.

7E-Bodies

You may be right.  I was looking at the same thing...monotony. I used to run piece parts for Caterpillar and on long runs, it could be pure hell. I ran the turret lathes as well for multiple cut parts. I wonder if @6bblgt has the stats on how many cars even came with this option. A couple dozen may be all that'd be needed.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Rdchallenger

Well if the stem gets made I will definitely pull the trigger on getting a repop clock for my cluster just because I think they look cool!

6bblgt

for the 1970 e-bodies - Challenger 5.1% & Barracuda 4.1% had the OPTIONAL "clock"

& add me to the list of those in need - I used to have the pieces - but currently they are MISSING  :rubeyes:

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: gzig5 on August 19, 2019, 01:23:17 PM
Quote from: 7E-Bodies on August 19, 2019, 01:11:19 PM
If a machine shop is fairly modern, they should have a CNC machine that could closely reproduce that knob and it's original texture as well. Worth looking into.

CNC is not needed to get it right.  I could do that knob pretty quickly on my manual machines.  Five minutes or so to profile the blank another 5-10 to drill and tap, and maybe ten minutes to cut the serartions on the indexing head?.  Pretty quick once the setup is done and you'd want to setup some fixtures if doing many of them.  CNC might be faster and a little quicker setup, but there is programming time in the setup and higher burden rate on a CNC machine, depending how they cost it.  10-20 the piece part cost might be too high.  Now if you are doing batches of 100-1000, CNC is the way to go.   I'm not standing in front of my machines for that long.  Making stuff is fun but the same stuff over and over gets monotonous.  That's why some of this stuff costs so much, the CNC machines can crank them out fast but you have hundreds/thousands of dollars in setup costs and fixtures to make the run.

Like I've said before, the knob itself is already available in repo..... Same as a 70-71 rally dash knob

AUS_CUDA73

Does anyone know where I can get the silver adjust knob from? Need one for mine. I already have the rest of the clock and tube.

1 Wild R/T

AUS_CUDA73

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on September 04, 2019, 11:49:37 PM
Quote from: AUS_CUDA73 on September 04, 2019, 10:37:31 PM
Does anyone know where I can get the silver adjust knob from? Need one for mine. I already have the rest of the clock and tube.

https://www.themoparshop.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=350_352&products_id=3527&osCsid=2o3iach48t6crr8ccjef0oeao5

Thanks. It says rallye dash stems, so this still fit the standard clock gauge adjust?

JS29

@AUS_CUDA73   :welcome:  :handshake: I read somewhere that they are indeed the same.   :alan2cents:

70 Challenger Lover

The knob is the same. I had a spare one from a Rallye dash set up and it worked perfectly for the small clock just like Wild RT said.

gzig5

Quote from: 6bblgt on August 19, 2019, 02:58:23 PM
for the 1970 e-bodies - Challenger 5.1% & Barracuda 4.1% had the OPTIONAL "clock"

& add me to the list of those in need - I used to have the pieces - but currently they are MISSING  :rubeyes:

Hope to start playing with this in a couple weeks.  If it works out, I probably wouldn't have time to make several of them until the snow is flying.  Youth football coaching keeps me hopping for a couple months.

AUS_CUDA73

Ok, no problems! Thanks guys. By any chance do you know what order the assembly goes into the tube. Is it the little threaded insert-into the silver knob-then into the tube and tighten with a screw driver?

70 Challenger Lover

The long stem goes into the tube and then the chrome knob screws onto the stem at the opposite end. Those three pieces are one self contained assembly and won't come apart unless you unscrew the chrome knob. From there, the assembly goes through the hole in the dash Bezel and screws into the back of the clock from the underside.

68bee

Any news on reproducing these?

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: gzig5 on September 05, 2019, 09:32:46 AM
Quote from: 6bblgt on August 19, 2019, 02:58:23 PM

Hope to start playing with this in a couple weeks.  If it works out, I probably wouldn't have time to make several of them until the snow is flying.  Youth football coaching keeps me hopping for a couple months.

@gzig5 A couple weeks have passed.... Any progress?   Not that I need one, I don't have a car that uses one anymore... But somebody might....