Main Menu

Hemi

Started by cuda hunter, May 29, 2020, 08:13:07 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cuda hunter

I've had the ability to buy this motor for some 15 years and have passed.  But since it is really the only one that has fallen in my lap and continues to be sitting there waiting for me to purchase it I feel I need to pick it up as the fella is getting pretty old and has talked about dying now for a couple years. 

So I need to know an honest opinion of value on this block.  I can only tell you what I know and what he knows.

The motor was raced 3 times.  3 passes.  Taken out, pulled apart and stored since.  There was nothing wrong with the motor.
He simply wanted to build the other motor that he has that is in the funny car in the pictures.
the 73 motor in the funny car has had 150 passes with blower and nitrous.  So as he tells it he's "nice" to his motors and did not want to blow them up. 

The motor was sold to him by Keith Black in 1973.  Keith used to have a card for every item he ever sold.  My friend called him once in 85 to ask him a question about the other 73 hemi he purchased and Keith was on it and told him every part he sold down to the bolts.  They were friends as well.  He purchased lots of parts from Keith.

As I am told the motor measure 4 1/4 bore.  factory bore.  He has not magnafluxed it but he guarantee's it is a good block with no issues.  I have no reason to not believe him.  He is a local to me and it would do him no good to piss off a local.  I have family that works for him as well.  And I'm a hot head.  A man's word goes a long way with me.

Unfortunately there are no numbers on this block.  The vin pad is unstamped.  the casting numbers have been ground off as well as the X cast.  You can see the grind marks in the pictures to come. 
The only identifying marks on the motor are the keith black stamps.  I"m not positive what they mean and would like your opinion.

I have the opportunity to purchase the block, cast heads, valve covers, rockers arms.  There may be pistons and he says he can call another guy (can't remember his name) who is a big funny car racer in California whom he is friends with and he can get me any parts that I can not purchase from my friend. 

Also, my friend will sell me a set of aluminum heads for cheaper than the iron heads.  He can't tell me what he paid for the iron heads because he purchased them back in the late 80's but they have been out at his friends house in California.  I wish I could remember the name of the california gentleman as I think he is a well known racer.  but my buddy throws names out like I should just know who these race drivers are.

I know this is a lot of talk to read through.  and I know this is pretty boring for some of you but if someone would please give me some ideas as to where to start on the purchase of this hemi I would be very appreciative.  This is my first opportunity at a hemi that is not already a 30K purchase. I've got kinda rights to it as he knows I've been wanting it for a long time. 

And the pictures will follow on the next post.  That's what I assume most want to see anyway. 

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

I know some of this pictures are basically worthless, but someone might see things I don't see.  So just about every picture I took will be posted. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

:rebelflag"

cuda hunter

cuda hunter

cuda hunter

cuda hunter

cuda hunter

These pictures are of the hemi in the funny car that has been run 150 times at 4-5 seconds per run.
This is not for sale.  He said I can buy it from his boys when he passes away. 
Although he is pulling this motor and installing another race motor in the funny car. 
At that point I will try to purchase, but I'd be happy just to get one, even if there are no numbers on the block.

cuda hunter

I can poke and prod the motor any time I like during regular business hours.
If there are things I need to check I would very much appreciate it.
I have called and requested a basic quote for the motor to be honed and put back together from my local machinist.   He will give me a price on Monday. 

:bigthumb:

RUNCHARGER

Cool piece. The block is nice but I would see if it was decked before proceeding. A lot of those factory blocks from that era came decked .1 and that really messes a lot of things up (like fitting an intake manifold and heads for instance. 69 style valvecovers are maybe $300 for a pair. I think those heads are D4s and they have a goofy header pattern which makes it tough to work with as well. Stock rocker gears is probably at $2k these days for a full set.
Sheldon

cuda hunter

He did quote 300 for the black ones but said he just saw a set of chrome ones sell for 600. 

I have not checked for a decked head before.  Can you turn me onto the correct procedure.  Or should I just research youtube for that? 

cuda hunter

He did mention that I wouldn't want those aluminum heads but didn't really say why. 
Apparently it's the header pattern. 

Also, Can you explain how those are 69 style valve covers?  He didn't know how to tell what year the valve covers were, that's why I took several pictures of both sets.

RUNCHARGER

The 66-69 style covers have pipes for you to push the Breather/PCV on. The 70-71 covers had bulges and a twist in oil filler cap.
Sheldon

cuda hunter

I can see the pipes on the chrome valve covers. 

Whereas the black valve covers appear to have the bulge and open hole for a screw in breather. Am I seeing that correctly? 

RUNCHARGER

No: I think they all have the pipes. Nothing wrong with that but the 70-71 style are worth considerably more.
Sheldon