Main Menu

I Found a Tucked Away Collection For Sale...

Started by 7E-Bodies, July 12, 2020, 07:27:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

Guys, this is the age-old idiot question, because...I know...not enough information. So here's why I ask before I can provide that...I'm invited to view (and purchase) three items from a guy that is into Ford GT's that bought into some old mopars when they were cheap. He's owned these for 20 plus years. I am to go to his shop, containing 7 Ford GT's (his primary passion) and dig back to a buried treasure.

1. A 65,000 mile Challenger TA, lime green, louvered 4 speed survivor, all original, that he parked 7 years ago and buried. Yes, with fuel in it. No rust, previous quarter patches that he claims are nice. Both fender tags are on it. "has never looked for build sheet, never cared". Interior nice other than driver seat coming unstitched as is typical, black interior, standard instrument cluster. He claims nearly everything is original, carbs, intake, air cleaner and all. He says he's never looked at the engine stampings for numbers matching verification, again stating he never cared.

2. A 68 426 Hemi Road Runner, previous "high end" restoration, 4 speed, bronze, zero rust and "very nice". Number's matching with build sheet and fender tag. Also parked 7 years ago with fuel left in it. "Tons of hemi OEM parts go with it"

3. A 68 Date coded 426 Hemi Warranty Engine "complete". No stampings on vin pad. No further info.

I have little knowledge on B bodies other than a Hemi car is a J code? Nor do I have a clue on it's value, but he want's all mopar stuff to go on a "package sale".
Can I get some feedback on what all of this might be worth? Also, if any Road Runner guru's/owners are on here, can you chime in and help me?
I'm headed there Wednesday morning (west central Illinois) to view these and can post pics afterwards.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

6bblgt

7E-Bodies

@6bblgt thank you. 200k as all three in a package? And even in today's market? I'd be tempted to sell everything but the TA if it's all as listed. Let's just say I have a much better price being tossed at me "as long as it all goes"

6bblgt

it all depends on the details (don't know what anything is selling for due to Covid-19, asking prices have not fallen)
FJ5 or FJ6? T/A ~$75K white interior FJ6 4-speed louver is pretty high on the pecking order
turbine bronze HEMI RR ~$100K among the cheapest HEMI cars available, coupe or hardtop?
complete '68 HEMI ~$25K VINs were stamped by the oil pressure sending unit

7E-Bodies

Black interior on the TA. Not sure if it's FJ5 or 6, but definitely 4 speed and louvered. When I met this guy, he was showing a very high dollar Ford GT that even attracted me to it. While viewing it, he noticed my e-bodies T shirt and said "you into e-bodies are ya?" And the rest is history. More Wednesday. 

RUNCHARGER

Hard to say. Depends on condition and originality. I'm more cautious. $70k +$70K + $20k.
Sheldon

Skdmark

For a package deal, I would say around $160k +/- 20%
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

Cuda Cody

To get top dollar, they have to be sold separately.  Package deal means better price.  All original and patch repair normally are not the same thing, so with the T/A I would not be as high as most would think.  The 68 Hemi's did not come with a VIN pad so people might think it's a Warranty block, but it will need the warranty tag to prove it.  Like 6bblgt said, look up on the top of the bellhousing area for the VIN to be hand stamped.

What I think it's worth as a package deal without seeing photos.  About $125k.  If he sells them all separately and he would get more.  But if I buying it all, I need to have some meat on the bone.

RUNCHARGER

I agree, I also find non-Mopar nuts generally have cars that are not quite as correct or high quality as Mopar only guys. Not always but quite often.
Sheldon

anlauto

Quote from: Cuda Cody on July 13, 2020, 06:42:27 AM

What I think it's worth as a package deal without seeing photos.  About $125k.  If he sells them all separately and he would get more.  But if I buying it all, I need to have some meat on the bone.

I agree, without pictures it's a crap shoot....Dan's $200K would be top dollar I think (cleaned up, running properly, sold separately) I think Cody is much closer to the current value as is package price.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

7E-Bodies

@anlauto and Cody's price is exactly where the seller is starting. I won't lie, I'm not into B bodies. Never owned one. Nor do I need or particularly want a hemi car. I'm absolutely foaming at the idea of a TA. Especially in that color and a 4 speed. My hope was to sell all things hemi related and make the TA end up way cheaper. Or even negate its price completely. For instance if a hemi RR 4 speed would net me a quick 80, then the spare hemi another 25, I'd be getting a "survivor" TA for 20, minus any amount I could lower him to. But from what I'm seeing a 68 Hemi Road Runner just doesn't turn the coin the a hemi E would. He does however claim the RR is very nice, but don't they all? It's a gamble. It always is.

YellowThumper

Will let those in the know chime in with the $$$ quantity. I will reiterate the "meat on the bone" comment. With current Covid-19 issues globally. You could potentially be sitting on this investment for a good duration.
Loan with compounding interest? Then every day becomes a loss. Not asking just putting it out as a statement.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

ViperMan

I think he could get a cool couple o' million...

...by selling off all the silly GT's...  :)

RUNCHARGER

If that's his starting figure I think you better go look at them, have funds available and if they're good make an offer. It sounds like he doesn't have the values based on tv auctions and is more in tune with actually selling all 3 at once.
If the Runner is good at all you should be able to pull $70k out of it quickly and if the engine is complete carbs to distributor to pan and manifolds it would sell pretty quick as well. The extra Hemi stuff is what adds value, if it's just a longblock then not so much.
Sheldon

RUNCHARGER

Any idea what colour the Runner is and if it is a coupe?
Sheldon