Main Menu

WIW: Pro Street Style 'Cuda

Started by 70_440-6Cuda, October 27, 2022, 10:46:02 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70_440-6Cuda

Hey all, I know this is very subjective, but I am hunting for a race car purely for fun and have found a couple of '70 Barracudas that are set up to go out of the gate - Irwindale Speedway and Pomona Raceway are both close to me so getting on the track should be fairly easy.  I know there are some members on here with a long history in the Mopar world, just wondering what the opinions are of a car that has been tubbed for racing?

I have a line on a really solid '70 'Cuda (BS), originally 340 4spd but that is all long gone.  Asking price seems very reasonable to me at under $40k for a complete 9 second car.  The car retains most of its factory parts including gill side moldings etc.  I know this forum is more dedicated to original restoration, but I cant help think that when you look at the junk people are paying $20K+ for it seems like a bargain.

I suppose I am thinking about when the time comes to sell it, am I paying $40K for a $10K car? Thoughts?  Thanks everyone
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

anlauto

The only advice I would give is having an actual tech inspector from the racetrack inspect the car before purchase....You would hate to spend $40K and then find out it won't pass tech inspection...without spending another $10K on upgrades...  :dunno:  Racing is a fun way to blow off a weekend, but it's costly...

What's that old saying ? ....."if you want to become a millionaire, start with two million and go racing" :brainiac:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RzeroB

Your right, it is very subjective. A lot depends on the quality of the build: some race cars are hack jobs; and others are mechanical masterpieces. From just the one pic, each of those two cars you posted look pretty nice. Take a look around on something like "racingjunk dot com" for comparable cars and see what they're going for.
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

70_440-6Cuda

@anlauto and @RzeroB thanks both for the replies!  The one I am considering just passed its NHRA inspection about a month ago - car looks well done and solid.  I keep comparing it to what you can buy for that kind of money in an e-body Plymouth - not much these days but probably not a great comparison.

Appreciate the feedback!
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....