Main Menu

14" Trim Rings

Started by erik70rt, January 24, 2018, 07:17:11 AM

Previous topic Next topic

erik70rt

Does anyone make a repop trim ring that will fit the original 14x5 rallye wheels?  I see repops for 14x6.  Will these fit? 

Thanks!
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

EV2RTSE

I don't have any firsthand experience with the repop 14" rings but have seen them on others' cars so I would say that yes they would fit. Just as an original 14" mopar trim ring will work on a 5.5" or 6" wheel. But as far as I know none of the repop 14" rings have the brushed finish like the originals do so they don't look right. Although they don't seem to be as plentiful as they used to be, good originals are not difficult to find at big swap meets like Carlisle, I've picked them up in good condition for as little as $10 each even recently, with a little searching you could probably put together a really nice set of originals for about the same price as a new set of the reproductions.

blown motor

Are the trim rings the same as on the Magnum rims? I have the original 14" magnum rims with trim rings and centre caps for my 74.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

EV2RTSE

Yup in the 14s they're the same ring from 1970 all the way up to I think 1980, rallye or road wheel (magnum). 

Burdar

They made repops of those in the 90's I think.  They didn't fit well because of a weld on the inside.  If you find NOS ones from the 90's be careful.  I found some new chrome trim rings that were somewhat close in appearance to the originals.  I brushed the chrome to get a more correct look.  Someone who knows what they are looking at will see they are wrong but I couldn't justify the cost of NOS at the end of the restoration.