Main Menu

70 idler arm

Started by 704406, August 26, 2023, 01:11:08 PM

Previous topic Next topic

I need to replace the idler arm on my 70 Cuda.  I'm reading good and bad things about Moog replacement part K 7041.
Is there a better quality idler arm out there that anyone here has used or is it just a crap shoot if you get a good Chinese made one from Moog.

EV2RTSE

No firsthand experience but have heard the same about Moog lately, many have suggested Mevotech as a good alternative.
Proforged also might be worth a look.

Thanks for the suggestions EV2RTSE I also found that Bergman makes an idler arm with roller bearings that looks interesting, anyone here use one of them?

MOPAR MITCH

Advantage to using the MOOG idler arm (regardless of country of origin)... is that the Firm Feel BALL BEARING kit can be installed... according to FF.. it can ONLY be installed in the MOOG idler arm.   I've personally made this conversion and highly recommend it... very firm and smooth!

I'm not sure which idler arm Bergman is using with his roller bearing idler arms, but its likely a MOOG part that he's gone further with the FF roller bearing mod... takes a little while to install... if you do it often enough.. you'll be doing it more quickly... a convenient offering from Bergman!  (FF should also consider offering it pre-done).

So I got a Moog K7041 from Amazon it was $68.00CDN. Out of the Moog box the bag the arm is in has EXCK 7041 on it. No seals, no grease fittings, not even drilled for the fittings. It's also .070 short of the original I know I can shim it but with no grease fittings I'll pass on it.
I'm going to order one from my local Lordco store and see what it looks like tomorrow I guess it can't be worse, if that doesn't work I guess it's on to Bergman auto craft as I like the look of their arm.

mk

Quote from: 704406 on September 01, 2023, 11:26:07 AM
So I got a Moog K7041 from Amazon it was $68.00CDN. Out of the Moog box the bag the arm is in has EXCK 7041 on it. No seals, no grease fittings, not even drilled for the fittings. It's also .070 short of the original I know I can shim it but with no grease fittings I'll pass on it.
I'm going to order one from my local Lordco store and see what it looks like tomorrow I guess it can't be worse, if that doesn't work I guess it's on to Bergman auto craft as I like the look of their arm.

Lordco should be able to get the Proforged brand as well.

According to Holley's proforged web site they only make a fast ratio idler arm not the standard arm which seems weird, why not both?
Firm feel makes a bearing kit to fit the Moog arm that's $125.00 USD plus the cost of the Moog idler arm ($95.00CDN) the  Bergman arm with the bearings installed is $155.00USD
The more I look the crazier it becomes

EV2RTSE

So I've been reading up on some of the old threads on the forums about front end parts because I'm getting ready to order all of that stuff soon. Bill Rolik carries and recommends the Spicer Pro line -
https://www.billrolikenterprises.com/proddetail.php?prod=2535886

And I can't find the thread now but supposedly the brand that Dr. Diff carries is also good -
https://www.doctordiff.com/idler-arm.html

Katfish

Quote from: MOPAR MITCH on August 28, 2023, 11:45:12 AM
Advantage to using the MOOG idler arm (regardless of country of origin)... is that the Firm Feel BALL BEARING kit can be installed... according to FF.. it can ONLY be installed in the MOOG idler arm.   I've personally made this conversion and highly recommend it... very firm and smooth!

I'm not sure which idler arm Bergman is using with his roller bearing idler arms, but its likely a MOOG part that he's gone further with the FF roller bearing mod... takes a little while to install... if you do it often enough.. you'll be doing it more quickly... a convenient offering from Bergman!  (FF should also consider offering it pre-done).

Got any tips on how to install the FF kit ?

Dakota

I put the Firm Feel kit on my Challenger's idler arm.   It's been a few years, but best I remember the instructions came with pictures and were fairly easy to follow. 

Katfish

I'd like to see what's involved before buying.
Can't seem to find them on the FF site, their site in general is not the greatest.

Well the Moog idler arm from Lordco was identical to the one from amazon, made in china, no grease fittings, even though when they looked it up it says greaseable on their website.
The idler arm bearing kit from firm feel has no information about the install it's likely in the kit when you buy one. It looks like you have to buy a Moog arm press it apart then press in their new inner sleeve and assemble from there.
I'm going to look at an idler arm at my local Napa store early next week, it seems that they have 2 different grades available one is about $40.00 the other is About $100.00CDN maybe one of those will work.

Brads70

Quote from: Katfish on September 02, 2023, 03:40:19 PM
I'd like to see what's involved before buying.
Can't seem to find them on the FF site, their site in general is not the greatest.

This?
https://firmfeel.com/collections/pitman-idler-arms/products/idler-arm-roller-bearing-kit

Katfish

Yeah that's it, but I'd expect a PDF download.
The crappy pic of the instructions doesn't cut it.

Bpret

Try Mcquay norris parts. I believe espo springs and things sells them. I have an entire front end kit on my car for years no issues and all have grease fittings.