Main Menu

Idler arm

Started by Tony 73, May 30, 2020, 02:26:56 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Tony 73

Do I have the wrong idler arm on my 73 challenger ?

Restored my challenger and been on road since 2012, have always had very poor clearance between idler arm and sump, sump is standard.

Am putting my 71 cuda together and yesterday while looking under challenger for reference I noticed the idler arm on the challenger is very flat, not stepped down like the cuda on as seen in attached photo. I then looked through box of parts and found an idler arm that matches the cuda one, all freshly painted I am guessing 8 years ago. Have I grabbed the wrong arm 8 years ago and installed its ? Assuming if I swap arms my clearance problem will disappear . Not the 1st or 2nd time I have had parts mix up  :)

Thanks for help

Bullitt-

I can't see a difference in the one from my '73
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

dodj

If the one on your challenger does not look like the one you (and bullitt) have pictured for your cuda, then yes, you have the wrong one on your challenger.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

Yes, I agree, the ones pictured above look correct for all 70-74 E-Bodies  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

you can oval the top hole or bottom hole & tip the arm down a little to clear the oil pan .