Main Menu

70 idler arm

Started by 704406, August 26, 2023, 01:11:08 PM

Previous topic Next topic

chargerdon

This summer my idler arm was showing wear, so i ordered the Moog replacement thru Amazon...$32 and free shipping for Prime Members.  This is actually way cheaper than Rock Auto for the Moog brand ($43.79 plus shipping).  Rock does have off brand names for as low as $12 and the $12 one DOES have grease fittings, but, to me ill go with Moog.  Yes, the picture showed two grease fittings, plus two different nuts to choose from one was a castle with pin, and one a shiny one.   The actual part came with NOTHING in the box except for the idler arm with its new bolt thru the hole with a black nut on it and no grease fittings or place to put them. 

So, ok I removed the Idler Arm and was miffed to see that the bolt on it was 13/16 while the NON castle nut was 3/4.   Who the F does that ?   But took it off, and then realized that the new Moog part (yes, made in china) with its bolt  was also 7/8 and nut (not castle) also 13/16.   

I put it in and it works just fine, and i seriously doubt that the lack of a grease fitting will ever be a problem with me only driving the car locally to shows and cruises putting maybe 500 miles per year on it. 

Regarding the Firm Feel "upgrade" for $125 plus lots of work.   Wow..i personally seriously doubt i would ever know the difference, heck, stock power steering is already too easy..so i cannot see the benefit of this ...to me..ridiculous upgrade would be.   Maybe with manual steering it would make a difference..but...certainly not with power.   Just my two cents. 

Katfish

I agree 100%, this is 1 of those "upgrades" that sounds good in theory, but serves no practical purpose for 99.9% of drivers.
I was curious what was involved in the installation, if FF can't make it easy to find that, good luck selling this $125 plus shipping "fix" for a non-existent problem.

I agree that the bearing kit from firm feel and the idler arm from Bergman auto craft might be overkill for an occasional Sunday drive but why can't Moog make one that you don't have to shim to fit the opening, You shouldn't have to "make it work" in my opinion.
I'm just trying to find the best value/fit for my money, I thought it would be a lot easier than it's turning out to be!

chargerdon

When i installed my new Moog brand idler arm i didn't use any shims, nor did any come with it in the box.   I just put it in and tightened  to service manual specified 65 ft lbs.   It fit nicely and no slop and no problems.   

I got a look at the Napa 2683551 idler arm yesterday, in the box is the plastic bag with the EXCK 7041 sticker on it which is identical to the 2 Moog arms I have tried, and no grease fitting nor drilled for them as Napa's Web site says and shows in their illustrations and the identical dimension at the thru bolt which is 0.70 short of my original one.
I contacted PST yesterday with questions about their idler arm but as of yet I haven't heard back.
Anyone use their 1A18744 arm?

chargerdon

OK...I just don't get it.   

Manufacturers started making suspension pieces without grease fittings long ago.   They said they weren't needed as they were sealed.   So i don't get the concern on worrying about Moog parts without them.   

Unless your putting a lot of miles on your car every year, or driving on really muddy roads,  a new idler arm without a grease fitting will probably outlast you and you don't have to bother greasing it every year !!   

Every tie rod end and the pitman arm are greaseable from the factory except the idler arm, and that's what is worn out now. If I'm going to replace it why not get a greaseable one?
I'm really more concerned with getting one with the correct dimensions, the Moog ones and the Napa one I measured aren't.
As a retired mechanic with 44 years experience, I don't have a problem getting under the car once a year and greasing tie rod ends etc.
I've had lots of experience with "greased for life" parts and off shore manufacturing issues and poor quality!

chargerdon

Maybe so...

but on a classic car that is probably driven under 1,000 miles a year, ill bet the lifetime greased idler arm will outlive you...   
just my 2cents worth.   

Thanks for your input chargerdon, you are correct everyone is entitled to their opinion, if you are happy with your Moog idler arm that's good. And it's likely fine, I just wasn't impressed by the fit.
I heard from Performance suspension today, their idler arm is the correct dimension, length (height) is 2.370 and that will fit the opening perfectly, no compressing down the original opening or using shims.
They also have the more correct washer top and bottom measuring 1.59 as was the original arm, maybe the washers help to spread the load more around the location rather than the Moog one that is just the thickness of the sleeve, I don't know for sure, but if the PST one has the washers why put them on if they serve no purpose.
At $68.00 plus free 49 state shipping seems to me like a good deal for a idler arm that fits the opening a bit more correctly, in my opinion, that's just my 2 cents worth.
I started this post because I wasn't happy with fit of the Moog idler arm and wanted to know what others on this site were using and if anyone had used an idler arm from any the various venders out there.
Thanks to all who responded I'll be ordering one from PST

Katfish

Does the PST part have a grease fitting?

I ended up finding and using a Napa 18744 idler arm. it is identical to the original one all dimensions match and it has a grease fitting.
It was around $55.00 Canadian on line from Napa Canada including shipping and has a 5 year warranty.
The grease fitting interferes with the outer tie rod end so I used a zerk fitting for clearance